Who's into Classical Music?

la Boheme and Madame Butterfly
Not quite the Met but La Boheme and Butterfly are both on at the Palace at the end of January. Performed by various touring companies from small East European countries which often have some real gems in the solos.

One of the performances clashes with Sheffield United away so it depends what i get a ticket for.

I love all genres of music except rap,classical is not my main love but some of it moves me deeply.

my favourite classical piece,I'm not being morbid or owt,but Faure's Requiem is just total bliss from start to finish

Never thought l would find fellow Jussi fans on here. Prefer him to the three tenors and other modern singers and the older ones like Caruso suffer because of the recording.

May l mention Tito Gobi as Scarpia in Tosca? In some u tube clips the menace is palpable and frightens me to death.
Tito always looked manic! But what a voice. Gigli had a beautiful, lyrical voice, and, yer right, wish there were some decent recordings of Caruso!

did the lot.the Lucca museum, the house in Donna del largo.
there is a pebble sculpture at the opera house made by the same sculptor as the one outside the Bridgewater Hall in Manchester.
the piano he wrote Tosca on is in the museum.
Lucca is beautiful.

I was told that piano was the one he’d written Turandot on. Maybe he did both. A few months later I was at a gallery near Barga where there was an old piano. The curator told me that this piano used to belong to a friend of Puccini’s, and when he went up north to write Turandot this was the piano he borrowed. I did wonder how many more pianos there were dotted around Tuscany that were all the ones on which he’d written Turandot.

I got into opera about ten years ago and now am almost obsessed by it.
Went to NY for the Met opera in March last and Donna Del Largo near Lucca for the Puccini festival this summer. Next year I’m going to Carmen at La Fenice in Venice and I’ve booked for the Verona Opera festival. I’ve seen operas in Paris, Vienna and Budapest also.
I also travel to see great orchestras, performers or conductors.

I have been to all of those except the Met. Prague is also very good for the opera and classical concerts.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.