Who's into Classical Music?

Liszts 2 piano concertos
Ravels string quartet
Steve Reich electric counterpoint
Purcell Dido and Aeneas
Monteverdis 1610 Vespers

If I'm at the breakfast table afore Mrs Ewing then R2 and Rag Ball gets switched off and Classic FM sweetens the air. Mind, there are some canutes on that station, too, but the music can be sublime. Operatic arias, Mozart, Beethoven, Bizet, Saint-Saens! But for those who want to dip their toe in the classical repertoire, there is a fair pile of shite, too.

I have all the Beethoven symphonies conducted by Maestro Karajan, but my first pick would be Elgar.

Joaquin Rodrigo's two concertos are great. Can't go wrong with any of Manuel de Falla's dances either.

I love most classical music.

There are many great composers that I enjoy listening to but Dvořák and Smetana are my two favourites. Both have composed some exceptional pieces but Smetana's 'Ma Vlast' and Dvořák's 'Slavonic Dances' are especially wonderful.

Smetana, yes, Ma Vlast is very good.
Peer Gynt (Grieg) is also good, had that on driving through the Lofoten Islands.

Let's escape all the doom and gloom on the political and football fronts with a classical music thread.

My dad was a classical music aficionado so I grew up listening to it even though it wasn't really my taste but as I've got older I've come to appreciate it more. I've even started going to the RNCM occasionally & saw a wonderful performamce of Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto and Stravinsky's Firebird Suite, played by the students recently. I'm working my way through the book '1010 Classical Recordings To Hear Before You Die' and on Sunday I finished my latest piece for KOTK to the background of Handel's Messiah.

One piece from listening to my dad's stuff that struck me at the time and I still love to listen to today is Rhodion Shchedrin's interpretation of the Carmen Suite. It's just strings and percussion but so dramatic. I love Beethoven's 5th/6th/7th Symphonies and am getting to know the others. Also love Samuel Barber's Violin Concerto, which is more modern.

So who else is into Classical music and do you have a favourite composer/piece?

Have listened to some stuff in the past and can appreciate it but it's only recently that i've started to really enjoy it.

Was in Krakow recently and went to a church that had classical music concerts on in the evening, was absolutely superb, £12 for 1 hour and was great value. I'll listen to the proms on BBC especially when they're doing all the film scores which i really like as they always take you back to your childhood i suppose.

Have booked tickets to see the Halle perform Skyfall over the Christmas holidays which i'm really looking forward to. They play the score live while the film is screened.

Not a huge fan but Gustav Mahler's Symphony no.5 4th Movement is an absolute banger

The Halle are excellent. they used to do a proms in the park type thing with fireworks at Tatton which was excellent but they havn't done that for a few years.

can only find camera footage.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.