Why 4 quality strikers and not 4 quality centre backs?

adrianr said:
Mancini Manus Domini said:
I don't know of players on the continent that would be worth the investment but Thomas Vermaelen is the one centre half that really impresses me from the Premier League. It's his attitude more than anything; he seems to have that self belief and winning mentality you need if you are going to win something; I know he's not winning at Arsenal due to what he has around him but at City? The final piece of the jigzaw for me.

I really like Vermaelen, but I really don't think we can buy anyone else from Arsenal. It's going to start looking a bit suspicious ;)

We definitely need another leader at the back. All of our CB's can play well alongside Kompany, but he's the keystone. Remove him and it all comes tumbling down.

:D

If Kompany is absent for Chelsea would it be worth playing Yaya Toure at centre half? He's played there a few times for Barcelona. Is his leadership and commanding presence better served dealing with Drogba than being in midfield?

Savic v Drogba is giving me nightmares!

pee dubya said:
Individual talent is more important in attack than in defence, where it is the effectiveness of the unit as a whole that matters more.

So if you want to rotate in attack without seriously weakening yourself, you need players all of a roughly similar ability. In defence, if you're well drilled you can get away with introducing slightly inferior players to your first choice, so your back-up doesn't have to be as good....provided the organisation is there.

Plus you're less likely to voluntarily rotate in central defence anyway, so your 2nd choices will get fewer games, top players won't sit on the bench.

So do you think we are getting it right? Are Toure and Savic adequate back up?

If everyone else is going for quality strikers as their priority wouldn't we be stealing a march on everyone else by getting a top quality defender? We already have enough quality in attack so why not use any proceeds from Tevez on a top notch centre half and add Guidetti to the squad?

I do think we are a well organised and well drilled unit when it comes to defending as a team but we are lacking that extra bit of quality and leadership at the back, and it shows.

-- Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:11 pm --

The_Mo said:
There are only about 5 defenders in the world who would justify a fee in excess of £20 million. Defenders are not worth as much as strikers.

Who are they?

How much will they cost?

What difference do they make to their current teams?

Re: Re: Why 4 quality strikers and not 4 quality centre backs?

pee dubya said:
Individual talent is more important in attack than in defence, where it is the effectiveness of the unit as a whole that matters more.

So if you want to rotate in attack without seriously weakening yourself, you need players all of a roughly similar ability. In defence, if you're well drilled you can get away with introducing slightly inferior players to your first choice, so your back-up doesn't have to be as good....provided the organisation is there.

Plus you're less likely to voluntarily rotate in central defence anyway, so your 2nd choices will get fewer games, top players won't sit on the bench.

So do you think we are getting it right? Are Toure and Savic adequate back up?

If everyone else is going for quality strikers as their priority wouldn't we be stealing a march on everyone else by getting a top quality defender? We already have enough quality in attack so why not use any proceeds from Tevez on a top notch centre half and add Guidetti to the squad?

I do think we are a well organised and well drilled unit when it comes to defending as a team but we are lacking that extra bit of quality and leadership at the back, and it shows.

-- Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:11 pm --

The_Mo said:
There are only about 5 defenders in the world who would justify a fee in excess of £20 million. Defenders are not worth as much as strikers.

Who are they?

How much will they cost?

What difference do they make to their current teams?
Hummels £25mill+
Thiago Silva £30mill
Vidic £25 mill +
Kompany £25 mill+
Sergio Ramos £25 mill
Pique £22 mill
Llahm £27 mill
All from top teams around Europe, and you should be able to recognise each of their talents. I have placed a value next to their names as a rough estimate of their worth.

BIG DONKEY said:
pique is garbage
Thought i might have got a hammering if i didn't pick someone from the 'Greatest team/divers in the world'.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Of those Hummels and Thiago Silva are at clubs that might be willing to do business. Although I know little of both their names keep getting mentioned.

Is Hummels like Vidic?

I thought Javier Martinez looked quality for Atletic Bilbao; I'd love him to join us.

Purely as a back up i'd also like Christian Chivu, who is out of contract at Inter this summer.

Of those Hummels and Thiago Silva are at clubs that might be willing to do business. Although I know little of both their names keep getting mentioned.

Is Hummels like Vidic?

I thought Javier Martinez looked quality for Atletic Bilbao; I'd love him to join us.

Purely as a back up i'd also like Christian Chivu, who is out of contract at Inter this summer.
Hummels is very good at picking up runs then playing lob passes from the defence.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Hummels and Subotic are both very good and work well as a pair. Hummels for want of a better example is like Rio with Subotic like Vidic.

Not a huge fan of T Silva, has a poor left foot.

Hummels is the ball playing centre back we need.

Hummels and Martinez would make a good pairing. Though I would expect Martinez to take Barry's position if he joined us (allow us to sell Kolo, Savic, Boyata, Dejong and release Hargreaves and Pizarro). Our CBs could be Kompany, Lescott, Hummels and Martinez.

These two would cost around £50mill less sales of say £25mill, we would have a signifcantly improved midfield and defense for around £25mil plus a 50% saving on wagesl

Mad 4 It said:
Not a huge fan of T Silva, has a poor left foot.

Hummels is the ball playing centre back we need.

Thiago Silva has the best passing accuracy of any defender distributing from his own half in European football according to a stat I recently read.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.