Why are England so toothless as an international team?

You don’t need a team full of world class players to go deep in a tournament. Wales made the semis in 2016 with two genuinely good players. Greece won it with zero.

England’s talent pool is more than good enough, provided everyone turns up and luck is on their side.

Everyone needs to understand their job, put a shift in, keep it tight and take their chances. England can’t manage that
Absolutely. Thinking you are better than you are, can lead to thinking we can pick anyone and win. A more realistic assessment will force a smarter take on formation, tactics, balance. That's the key for England. As you said, Wales do it better. Awful use of resources from you. All I keep hearing from English fans is, he doesn't know his best team. That is it in a nutshell.

We need to appoint a proper manager to start with.
The only England managers who have played attacking football (with some success) were Joe Mercer as an interim and Terry Venables. PL football is the most attacking football in the world and English players are part of that. But we keep appointing ultra-cautious dinosaurs who are unwilling to take any risks. Everything at the FA is rooted in the past.

I agree with those on here who castigate the FA. It is getting on for 25 years since the BURNS report branded the FA as a set of useless self interested blazers and recommended wide ranging reform. Have we done it? Of course not.
But i want to mention one other matter, namely the quality of English coaching. The last English manager to win the top echelon was Howard Wilkinson ffs.
We have talent, but as someone mentioned, it does not translate from successful age group sides to the senior level.
What is going on in the clubs? I don't have the knowledge or the insight to comment, but it is clear that there is something lacking in the nuturing of our talent. Why do foreign coaches dominate the prem?
Perhaps someone with that understanding could comment.

The only England managers who have played attacking football (with some success) were Joe Mercer as an interim and Terry Venables. PL football is the most attacking football in the world and English players are part of that. But we keep appointing ultra-cautious dinosaurs who are unwilling to take any risks. Everything at the FA is rooted in the past.
I’m not defending the cautious tactics that many England managers resort to but international football is a very different environment to club football particularly English club football and we have never been good enough to impose our style on the rest of the world; so there often is little choice other than to play their way.

I’m not defending the cautious tactics that many England managers resort to but international football is a very different environment to club football particularly English club football and we have never been good enough to impose our style on the rest of the world; so there often is little choice other than to play their way.
Apart from Greece it is usually the teams that take risks which have had success. France, Spain, Brazil, Argentina, the recent German teams, Holland. Even Italy have now become an attacking team. Defensive football is decades out of date.
There is too much money at stake with broadcast, ticket revenues, and sponsors. There is a commercial demand for football teams to entertain whether they win or not. England can't carry on with the excuse that our players are technically inferior any more as most of them play in the PL and the later stages of the CL.
The problem with England is a cultural mindset. The FA is not fit for purpose and its recruitment record is staggeringly bad. These are the people who made Sam Allardyce an international manager FFS and left Eddie Boothroyd in charge of youth development for years.

I agree with those on here who castigate the FA. It is getting on for 25 years since the BURNS report branded the FA as a set of useless self interested blazers and recommended wide ranging reform. Have we done it? Of course not.
But i want to mention one other matter, namely the quality of English coaching. The last English manager to win the top echelon was Howard Wilkinson ffs.
We have talent, but as someone mentioned, it does not translate from successful age group sides to the senior level.
What is going on in the clubs? I don't have the knowledge or the insight to comment, but it is clear that there is something lacking in the nuturing of our talent. Why do foreign coaches dominate the prem?
Perhaps someone with that understanding could comment.
There is a disconnect between those who run professional football clubs geared to success who employ players and the FA who are responsible for the laws of the game and grass roots. There are many good and commited people at all levels but the FA hierarchy is full of duffers who see themselves above those in the professional game.

They control the England national sides and represent England and see themselves as paternal guardians of how they see the game by imposing their values. Professionalism and money are dirty words until it comes to expenses, perks and priviledge exemplified by Wembley.

The FA was always the London based establishment whilst the professional football leagues have been Northern focussed. It has been a sourse of constant conflict to this day and is the same schism that caused Rugby League to split from Rugby Union.

Walter Winterbottom was the last internal FA England manager. Succeeded by Ipswich manager Sir Alf Ramsey in 1962 who despite wining the World Cup was never forgiven by the FA for not kow-towing to them. It explains why Clough was never appointed and why we now have Southgate.

People from abroad find it hard to understand why so many football supporters are so passionate about their clubs yet ambivalent about the national side. It is because England is the only country where football is divided.

It is time for the FA to be deconstructed and a new body created that embraces not just the FA establishment and professional elite clubs but the game as a whole. Dare I say a business approach to success with ethics.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.