Why are England so toothless as an international team?

It is time for the FA to be deconstructed and a new body created that embraces not just the FA establishment and professional elite clubs but the game as a whole
You are spot on. But it isn't going to happen, not any day soon.
I don't know if it's just a general complacency about them but collectively they seem unwilling to embrace any changes in the game, incapable of accepting that this is the 21st century and that times move on.

Obviously I have no idea of what goes on at the headquarters but I have a vision of it being like one of those WW2 ceremonials they have at the Cenotaph each year, where withered-looking old men are turfed out of their retirement homes and pushed around in wheelchairs for a couple of hours: an array of medals across their blazers and looking like they'd much rather be back in their homes with the central heating on and a comfortable armchair to sit in.
That's how I see the FA in this country: old men who neither know nor care what happens outside of the double-glazed windows because age has rendered them indifferent to the world around them.

It needs something akin to a Tiananmen Square uprising to usurp these dodderry, senile fossils - and I am not trying to downgrade the events of Beijing, absolutely not. But something should be done to replace the current FA because as things stand they are not fit for purpose.

Phil needs to play midfield to get on the ball more. That's where he was amazing for in the England youth setup. You've got the understand that city is different from England. Pep may not quite trust Foden in the middle yet but when England lacks midfield creativity that's where you need a player like Foden not 2 DMs

The man captaining England. Here's your answer:

Keep this prick a million miles away from my club.

Lol “this prick”.

Arguably the best English striker of the last 50 years. If his ankles hold up he’ll smash all goal scoring records whilst playing for a non elite team. Sergio aside he’s better than any striker we’ve ever had,

On the OP.

Why England never do well.

1. Always over hyped and talked up despite a mediocre ability
2. Succession of shite managers
3. Players paid too much and mainly concerned about their own image, and profile despite what they say about playing for their country
4. FA desperately needs reform

There is a disconnect between those who run professional football clubs geared to success who employ players and the FA who are responsible for the laws of the game and grass roots. There are many good and commited people at all levels but the FA hierarchy is full of duffers who see themselves above those in the professional game.

They control the England national sides and represent England and see themselves as paternal guardians of how they see the game by imposing their values. Professionalism and money are dirty words until it comes to expenses, perks and priviledge exemplified by Wembley.

The FA was always the London based establishment whilst the professional football leagues have been Northern focussed. It has been a sourse of constant conflict to this day and is the same schism that caused Rugby League to split from Rugby Union.

Walter Winterbottom was the last internal FA England manager. Succeeded by Ipswich manager Sir Alf Ramsey in 1962 who despite wining the World Cup was never forgiven by the FA for not kow-towing to them. It explains why Clough was never appointed and why we now have Southgate.

People from abroad find it hard to understand why so many football supporters are so passionate about their clubs yet ambivalent about the national side. It is because England is the only country where football is divided.

It is time for the FA to be deconstructed and a new body created that embraces not just the FA establishment and professional elite clubs but the game as a whole. Dare I say a business approach to success with ethics.
Your last para mirrors what the Burns report said. Still waiting.........

There is a disconnect between those who run professional football clubs geared to success who employ players and the FA who are responsible for the laws of the game and grass roots. There are many good and commited people at all levels but the FA hierarchy is full of duffers who see themselves above those in the professional game.

They control the England national sides and represent England and see themselves as paternal guardians of how they see the game by imposing their values. Professionalism and money are dirty words until it comes to expenses, perks and priviledge exemplified by Wembley.

The FA was always the London based establishment whilst the professional football leagues have been Northern focussed. It has been a sourse of constant conflict to this day and is the same schism that caused Rugby League to split from Rugby Union.

Walter Winterbottom was the last internal FA England manager. Succeeded by Ipswich manager Sir Alf Ramsey in 1962 who despite wining the World Cup was never forgiven by the FA for not kow-towing to them. It explains why Clough was never appointed and why we now have Southgate.

People from abroad find it hard to understand why so many football supporters are so passionate about their clubs yet ambivalent about the national side. It is because England is the only country where football is divided.

It is time for the FA to be deconstructed and a new body created that embraces not just the FA establishment and professional elite clubs but the game as a whole. Dare I say a business approach to success with ethics.
It is almost impossible to support England. The moronic racist fanbase in the 70s and 80s was a big deterrent. Then there was the hoof-ball style we had to endure for years. Now we have this tedious "play for set pieces" defensive style. The press are lauding Grealish because he draws fouls...as if this is a positive. Watching England just sucks the life out of you.

On the OP.

Why England never do well.

1. Always over hyped and talked up despite a mediocre ability
2. Succession of shite managers
3. Players paid too much and mainly concerned about their own image, and profile despite what they say about playing for their country
4. FA desperately needs reform
1 is a bit of a myth, It only works if we think England are shit for not meeting expectations. Which aren't as high as some people like to pretend. and Getting carried away during a tournament is not even slightly exclusive to the English. Although I think it is true that the press like to overhype English players at the earliest opportunity with can negatively affect the players individually, I don't think it is a major reason for the team playing poorly. Other countries also put a lot of pressure on their players.

3 is also nonsense as that is the attitude of pretty much every footballer. You're telling me Mbappé, Griezmann and Pogba aren't concerened with their image and profile, or Ronaldo, Lewandowski, Verratti etc?

2 and 4 I totally agree with.

We have been in 2 semi finals since 66 that should tell everyone we are not quite good enough.We have not had a world class manager because the FA want yes men.
However a blind man can see we need pace at the back Walker and James are fairly quick.Midfield Mount,Foden and Grealish should play. The struggle is who do u pick as i believe we only have a few players who should always play.

GK ?

DEF STONES,WALKER,?,?

MID GREALISH,FODEN,MOUNT ?,?

FWD ?

There is the problem with England i can only think of 5 names who should always play.

Southgate has the media to contend with and a genuine lack of world class players.

We need a decent manager to mould a team.Fwiw i would get Mourinho who is finished as a club boss but may be able to manage internationally.

Failing that after Southgate we will end up with Phil Neville or Sean Dyche and then god help us.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.