Why can't yanks use a knife and fork?

Oh, this is lovely . . . Brits on about American culinary habits. From the nation which didn't have a fresh vegetable available in a restaurant other than mushy peas and the occasional onion until 1983 and once thought of jellied eels as a diet staple. Who imported all of our fast food brands in a desperate attempt to add variety to their own cuisine. Who despite a worldwide empire that lasted for decades had their weak-ass caffeinated beverage of choice replaced by coffee AND Coca-Cola globally.

Next you'll be telling us something's wrong with our system of government and politi . . . errrrrrrrrr, never mind.
Oi Northerners don't eat jellied fucking eels. That's like suggesting Bay Area people eat grits.

I never understood 'wrong hands'. Why does it make a difference? I remember when i was in primary school many, many moons ago, the head teacher used to walk around as you were having lunch and check how you were eating your food, for some fucking weird reason. I had my knife and fork the 'wrong way' round, she said "have you never been taught manners at home?'. I replied no, its part of my religion to feed yourself with the right hand only (it is). She still made me switch it, as it was bad manners apparently. Absolute rubbish.
Very sinister.

Think this might belong in the 'little things that bug me' thread but fuck it I'll post it here.....twats that eat pies in the ground with a fuckin fork,sat there picking at it...just pick the bastard thing up ffs

A fork is a relatively modern innovation. Only really came in vogue about the 16th century, although some earlier forks were used for specific purposes.

So to stick to good old English tradition, you should really eat with a knife (held in the right hand) and your fingers. A servant should bring a suitable bowl of water for you to wash your fingers at the start and finish of the meal.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.