Why can't yanks use a knife and fork?

I might be wrong but aren´t you guys holding the fork with the curved end up as well? Alyways found it funny when my English colleagues tried to pick up peas etc. like that.

Kinda weird to the rest of Europe as well I guess.

I might be wrong but aren´t you guys holding the fork with the curved end up as well? Alyways found it funny when my English colleagues tried to pick up peas etc. like that.

Kinda weird to the rest of Europe as well I guess.
It's supposedly tines up for the US and tines down for everyone else. I think I interchange, definitely when eating chopped fruit I am using my right hand and stabbing the pieces then mostly going tines up. I will bet that when I'm in a posh-ish restaurant I inadvertently go to the etiquette and keep the fork in my left hand and always tines down for the main course but at home will just find the quickest way to get the food to my gob, including licking the plate.

I used to hold my fork in my first and the knife was for when I had peas or beans.

I don't do it anymore, the shame from those looking down their noses at me really fkin annoyed me though.

Absolutely sick of people with opinions about others.
There's not enough live and let live, I mean does it matter! That much?

I think there's a bit of a clue in the way cutlery is set at a table - fork on the left, knife on the right- It doesn't take a giant leap of deduction to work out which hand is meant for which implement.
Shouldn’t it be the other way round for the devil’s children who are left handed?

I used to have regular cafe breakfasts with a friend who hardly ever used his knife. He would just "stab" the food on his fork and bite off a chunk of bacon or sausage.He'd use the edge of his fork to slice the fried egg then stab that as well. The only thing he held in his hand was a mobile 'phone, on which he spoke through nearly all the meal.

I'm sure I read on here a few years back on a similar thread that the correct original way was ;
Fork in left hand to pin the food down, cut with knife in right hand, then put both utensils down, pick fork up with right hand, put food in mouth, then repeat.
I could me wrong as I'm off work tomorrow and have been drinking vodka for a couple of hours now.

Think this might belong in the 'little things that bug me' thread but fuck it I'll post it here.....twats that eat pies in the ground with a fuckin fork,sat there picking at it...just pick the bastard thing up ffs
Agree in general but not when the inside is too runny and the pastry so fragile that structural integrity is practically zero. One of those spoon/fork (spork?) beasties is a handy tool to prevent one wearing the pie.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.