Why did we let Zinchenko go?

Who was top choice LB then?
Cancelo.

In 2020-21 he got into the team of the season at left back after playing 21 games at left back that season.
In 2021-22 Cancelo played left back 34 times for us.

For a bloke who started 10 league games last season you seem to think we’ve lost some sort of genius footballer, which is an opinion you’re perfectly entitled to. I don’t, which is one I’m allowed to have as well.
Zinchenko started 13 Prem games for us last season and not one was against a team higher than 7th in the table at the time we played them.

Is this thread all because his new club are top of the league at the halfway stage or something.
I'm sure we'd have a similar thread if Raheem Sterling's new club were in Arsenal's position as well

I like Zinchenko, but this revisiniousm like he some kind World Class Fullback need to be stopped.
Yes agree. I was sad as fuck enough to check posts made in the last Zinchenko player thread by posters who have been hyperbolizing him in this one. Was quite cringeworthy how revisionist many of them are

Is this thread all because his new club are top of the league at the halfway stage or something.
I'm sure we'd have a similar thread if Raheem Sterling's new club were in Arsenal's position as well
Zinchenko was a universally loved figure - always loyal to our club. That he's doing well for Arsenal and that Arsenal are doing so well is no small part of the thread.

Sterling is much more talented, but equally so much more frustrating. And it's not at all clear how loyal to our club he ever was. So much talent - but often frustrating.

If Chelsea were top and if Sterling were going great guns - yeah - I think that similar criticism of the trade would occur.

Zinchenko/Jesus/Sterling - all traded - all wanting out - win-win. Some have prospered, some not. But at time of trade, both parties were satisfied. I can't fault any of these trades at all.

This is probably one City management want back
Agree with most of your post except this. Why would we want Zinchenko back? He's going great guns in his new side for now - but would be frustrated by lack of playing time in ours. A win-win trade.

We've had years-long experience with Zinchenko and can judge his ability spot on. A killer passer if left open; best position attacking mid; can fill in at LB. Best at LB if he can drift central and participate in mid.

Suspect defensively at LB. Out of position due to his own fault at times. Unable to stop crosses frequently. Positionally suspect at LB.

Prone to extremely bad mistakes especially when under pressure. A square pass across midfield is not uncommon. Under pressure he struggles - sometimes he makes a killer pass - but more often he turns and passes backwards - and not infrequently he gives the ball away.

Zinchenko is a gifted footballer - but he's nowhere near top class. Even at midfield - his best position.

I'm glad he's doing well at Arsenal - but we got a fair trade for him and no way I'd want him back in our squad - unless he was happy with a backup role.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.