Why do vets charge so much?

Got quoted 650 for an xray and 6.5k from my vets for an acl op on Chopper as the daft bugger has torn it. I have moved him to a non profit one, well, a less rip off one called Animal Trust, all in it will be between 1.1k and 1.8k. It is not a charity one but a group of vets who decided to start up a non ripoff company.

How can it be companies allowed to charge that much? it is a literal crime in my eyes. I believe it is mars who bought my local vets a few years ago and the prices went through the roof over night. Honestly i'd beat the faceless unaccountable fuckers into the floor. The industry needs regulation desperately.

I am fortunate enough that i could, if i had to, pay the full whack but it would very much have hurt my wallet. What about people who can't afford that amount and are nowhere near a vet with decent prices. It really boils my piss that does.

Anyway i am really happy with the new vets and feel bad for my vet i just left because she basically said look elsewhere because private vets are a joke now. I get that equiptment and staff need paying, no issue with that but 7+k for a relatively simple op?, i feel someone somewhere is taking us pet lovers for a ride.

Id imagine the student loan for a newly qualified vet is the best part of hundred grand , so no surprise the cost of treatment is sky high

Got quoted 650 for an xray and 6.5k from my vets for an acl op on Chopper as the daft bugger has torn it. I have moved him to a non profit one, well, a less rip off one called Animal Trust, all in it will be between 1.1k and 1.8k. It is not a charity one but a group of vets who decided to start up a non ripoff company.

How can it be companies allowed to charge that much? it is a literal crime in my eyes. I believe it is mars who bought my local vets a few years ago and the prices went through the roof over night. Honestly i'd beat the faceless unaccountable fuckers into the floor. The industry needs regulation desperately.

I am fortunate enough that i could, if i had to, pay the full whack but it would very much have hurt my wallet. What about people who can't afford that amount and are nowhere near a vet with decent prices. It really boils my piss that does.

Anyway i am really happy with the new vets and feel bad for my vet i just left because she basically said look elsewhere because private vets are a joke now. I get that equiptment and staff need paying, no issue with that but 7+k for a relatively simple op?, i feel someone somewhere is taking us pet lovers for a ride.
...and that's why they and others push for Vets insurance, it's a numbers game with peace of mind payments usually with expensive strings attached.

Id imagine the student loan for a newly qualified vet is the best part of hundred grand , so no surprise the cost of treatment is sky high

5 or 6 years full time univesity, so that's about £115k. Not including paying your own way to go no internships etc. in the summers.

That's just for some junior vet of course, by the time you're running a practice, you're paying rent on a property, employing receptionists, IT people, vetinary nurses, buying huge amounts of equipment and drugs and lets not forget massive insurance costs too.

I know a few vets from university. They're doing well enough but they're not raking it in.

I had my ex-racer greyhound insured, when he needed treatment they refused on the grounds that it was an old racing injury. I cancelled the policy.

Going through this at the moment with my boy . Just waiting for my pet insurance company to wriggle out of it and leave me with a big bill . Both vets and insurance companies in it together

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.