Why do vets charge so much?

I reckon it's because most people have pet insurance now.
In the past they'd charge a fee they thought they could get the owner to pay but now with people having insurance they just charge ridiculous amounts knowing the insurance companies pay out.
My partners Daughter's cat had a thorn in it's eye, the 'super-vet' charged nearly £1600 to get it out plus whatever else they did, luckily the insurance company paid most of it, minus the first £150 excess.
Would they have charged that if she didn't have insurance, personally i don't think so.

1 in 4 dog owners and 1 in 7 cat owners have insurance.
The vast majority do not.

Of course it's expensive, they are doctors but of animals, same as why dentists charge a fortune to clean your teeth. It takes fucking years to train, it's crazy hard to get a place to do it and by the time you qualify you'll be up to your eyeballs in debt and the pay really isn't that spectacular compared to the other professions they could have chosen. Then they have shit loads of overheads and insurance costs that they have to cover. Of course their is a huge mark up on things like drugs, it's the only way they can make it a viable business. It's like moaning that beer is more expensive in pubs than from the supermarket, no shit sherlock

If you are on benefits like carers or disabilty or tax credits you can get a discount at your vets without going to the rspca or pdsa.

I agree with most of the sentiments on here, you cannot put a price on your pets health and happiness in particular dogs,but they are expensive.
If you want to own a dog take out pet insurance or build up an emergency fund or both.
I've had dogs all my life but it was only when I had my first Golden Retriever that someone advised to take out insurance as I'd always had small breeds
before,this was over 25 years ago when pet insurance wasn't as popular as now.Anways, I'm glad I did because unfortunately George suffered from
Percarditis from the age of 9 thanks to the Vets and £1000s of fees ,mostly covered by insurance we had him for another 2 and 1/2 years before we
finally had to say goodbye.Fast forward to last year my next GD Jackson collapsed and couldn't walk although he was 11 we had to give him the best
chance,so he had an op at the Liverpool University Hospital which although successful we had to say goodbye 3months as he never learned to walk again.We have 3 dogs now ,as his Beagle brother was more devasted than we we were and ther're all insured,just as well as we've had a few teething
problems with his new Beagle brother a rescue, ther'e good mates and although they've no bollocks still ruck for being the top dog ,so more trips to
the Vet.Vets are professionals and should be paid accordingly and as in any profession I've experienced good and bad.I believe one of the main reasons
for the high costs involved in Veterinary treatment are the Pharmaceutical companies but that's a whole other story.

By the way Taxi many thanks for your 'new Tv thread' a few months ago me and the Mrs are enjoying our LGOLED65B7 thanks to your research

What used to wind me up about that TV show with Rolf Harris presenting (I'm guessing it was the PDSA?)... all these benefits claimants turning up to get free treatment for pedigree dogs that must have cost them many hundreds of pounds to buy in the first place.

I'm guessing they charge a lot because they are highly qualified, took years to train and have premises, staff, expensive medicines, equipment and pension contributions to fund.

And, since their IQ is probably 95th percentile, they are not daft enough to price at a loss.

I like the cut of your jib... (can I have a discount if my pooch gets poorly?)

What used to wind me up about that TV show with Rolf Harris presenting (I'm guessing it was the PDSA?)... all these benefits claimants turning up to get free treatment for pedigree dogs that must have cost them many hundreds of pounds to buy in the first place.

That's nothing - you should have seen the deal they got at the children's hospital.

I know what you mean but you can only register 1 pedgree dog with the pdsa or rspca.

I am not going to waffle any more.
I am going to attempt to put my POV (point of view) across in a rationalised manner devoid of sandwitch fillings or dross.
It may taste blander than previous posts but will be just as wholsesome and nutritious so worry not.
I have been stuck for time this week so Moonwalking and other space exploration has been kept to a minimum.
It happens occationally and the more important things in life have to take a back seat.
If I wasn't pressed for time I would have created another three paragraphs out of thin air and also making nonchelant enquires as to where our white widow was hiding but I wont.

Lets crack on..
Vets can be greedy human beings that are never happy with what they earn.The prices they charge are exhorbitant.
Just like the dentist chappies they are an evil nessasity to make our pets smile again.
I have a few tales of woe from vetinary practitioners but owing to time restraint will recant only one.
This does not mean all vets will slap your arse but that a lot will and ..can..and do.

Here is the story..
Our Rottie was aquired from the leafy shires of Birkenhead and chosen for temperament and pet quality.
An amazing animal that never once in it's adult life grumbled at any sentient creature.
More temperament than a guide dog and smarter than any sheep dog you could throw a stick at.
We would od course say all this because he was our pal and could do no wrong..
Cut to the chase Tax cut to the chase ...

So the years went by and summer turned to winter and the circle of life carved and wove of of it's splendid magic
He could no longer frolick as before and runs in the fields turned to walks and walks turned into plods with an occational wobble from a hind quarter.The vet said it's normal in this type of breed but would procure x rays and run bloods.
The prognosise was degenerate as his hips were knackered and prognosis non too good.
But wait ! we could make him happier and more content and improve his walking ability and quality of life with some magic potion to be taken twice daily.With many dogs the transorfmation was incredulous releasing a new lease and zest for life..
We are in doc we are in .. what is it ?

The potion was called syniquin or sinoquin and really helped improve a dogs life.
Only problem was the pills were expensive and if I remember rightly were £70 a course however you got a sticker for every bottle and when you bought 10 you got one free.I saw only good in this man who was offering 10% off in our quest to alleviate our hounds pains.

He braved on for another six months and although a small improvement things never worked out and when he cocked his leg for a wazzle he would now fall over.
Time to say goodbye and on his final day we took him for his last day out.
Appointment wasn't until late afternoon so he spent the day chilling by the river and in the park and we had a picanic of full roast chickens and full blocks of cheese (lancashire mais oui)He also had copious amounts of jaffa cakes his favourites and then we went to dance the dance and he was no more.
If anyone has had an animal put to sleep there is no need to recant the pain involved to the owners and we stayed at his side until the end.
Many months past with summer turning to winter and winter turning once more into spring ...get on with it ...get on with it !
OK so no spring chickens ourself we both had problems with joint pain and although we never fell over when having a piss we sought out treatment from the docs.

We also sought out help from the www and was directed to a product called chondroitin and also glucosamine.
Wonder drugs they said and a great aid in mending old joints and cartelidge.
And the good thing is our supermarket sold them for absolute pennies,maybe three pounds for a hundred or something cheap like that.
Anyway fast forward six months and we were cleaning out the garage and came across our his belongings.
Bed lead collar blanket brush quilt pillow etc and some left over sinoquin.
I read the label on the sinoquin and saw the contents.
It was glucosomaine and chomdroitin and nothing else that can be bought for pennies in Asda.
So the £60 monthly tablets were just the same ..wtf.I made enquires from vets and it was exactly the same stuff given to humans with no doggie additives but just given a posher name.
Why when you have vetinary care of the dog and associated profit for it's entire life then feel the need to nail the owners for more groats in there last hour of need.

Not saying all vets overprice but the selling of Sinoquin at proposterous mark levels is wrong on every level.
Why cant everyone charge fair prices like cabbies ..
No price increase for eight years now and do we moan ..do we fook because it's not just a job it's a way of life with the rush of wind in our hair and the call of the open road.
Maybe footballers and vets and other over paid sausauges should all take note of this.
This country is going to the dogs !

Great story. One of my dogs, a rescue terrier cross, was itching going mad. Vet said it's an allergy let's run blood tests. £520. Oh, still not clear what she's allergic to but it is perhaps atmosphere related, as happens in summer. Get dog to take one of these tablets everyday, £60 for 1 month supply. After some investigation turns out they are same as hayfever tablets. I asked vet can I give dog antihistamine tablets I can buy in Asda for £3. Answer yes as long as not got decongestant in it too. I agree vets are talented and highly skilled, but the medication charges are a bit scandalous.

When our Charlie, a black lab, was put to sleep the vets charged us £220 and inc having him cremated and the ashes put in a rather fetching oak cask c/w name plate and date ( actually, it was the height of pure tat, but you tell that to the Mrs at the time....... ). That's the way I'm going to go. No fucking Co-op style, pay now buy later malarky.
On the other hand when he was going in for tests they were doing alsorts to the poor guy, I asked if all this nessesary. "Oh yes..."
"And how much is this going to cost...????"
"Dont worry about that at this time" came the reply, "You're insured"
"NO, we're not..."
"Oh well take him home and keep your eye on him for a month....".

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.