wifi booster

allblackcitizen

Recently had a garden room installed which is to be used as an occasional office and need to get reliable, quick internet access.

Our virginmedia router is currently positioned at the front of the house.

Any advice as to the best way to boost the wifi down to the bottom of the garden (about 40 feet from the back of the house)?

Moving the router will need some kind of cabling through our open plan living/dining area.

I've read about ethernet cables and wifi boosters, but don't know what works best.

Any advice? Any brand recommendations for boosters, if that's the best option.

Do you have electricity in there which is on the same circuit your router is?

If so the ones which run through your electric circuits are good.

I had a MESH one but it was unreliable.

I use this one for my TVs as the WIFI on them is hopeless.

If you can do it, always go ethernet.

If you can’t, then either WiFi mesh network it power lines.

This, works a treat.

Sorry for being numb but how is it effected by being on the same electric circuit?

Is it not done by wireless signal?

Sorry for being numb but how is it effected by being on the same electric circuit?

Is it not done by wireless signal?

No it transmits a signal through your existing electric cables. You plug one into your router via ethernet and one where you want your signal. The second one is effectively a WiFi router nearer your devices.

I have one also in my kitchen for WiFi cameras and for WiFi TV and they are spot on.

Get a separate broadband connection for the garden room?

Would mean paying twice but would guarantee you the speeds

A garden room should be installed on a separate circuit to the rest of your home so you may have problems using powerline adapters, worth a try though if you have one or can borrow one.

You can also buy ethernet cable that is armoured and UV resistant for use outside but of course this means routing the cable around the house and through a wall or window frame from the router and then into the garden room into a wall outlet. I'd say for 40ft the line of sight transmitter might be needed.

https://www.cranegardenbuildings.co.uk/articles/how-to-extend-wi-fi-to-your-garden-office-or-shed

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.