wifi booster

Recently had a garden room installed which is to be used as an occasional office and need to get reliable, quick internet access.

Our virginmedia router is currently positioned at the front of the house.

Any advice as to the best way to boost the wifi down to the bottom of the garden (about 40 feet from the back of the house)?

Moving the router will need some kind of cabling through our open plan living/dining area.

I've read about ethernet cables and wifi boosters, but don't know what works best.

Any advice? Any brand recommendations for boosters, if that's the best option.

Don't buy any.

Virgin do there own for a extra £3 a month.

Wish i had done this sooner.

Bought one off Amazon and the signal wasnt the best at the back of the home.

Quick call to virgin and they sorted a booster out for me (it also comes up as a 2nd connection in the house)

Thanks for the replies.

Sounds like a call to Virgin might be best initial step?
Hope it works. 40 feet doesn't sound far but there are so many factors to think about. I'm trying to work out the best way to extend my wifi to mine and I've only got half that distance. The biggest problem I have is the only power supply nearer to the cabin for a repeater/booster is behind a wall (all the boosters seem to plug directly into a wall) and uses up sockets for my TV etc so I'm not convinced it will boost it enough so I've ordered one of these so I can use a USB supply from a device and place it on a window sill with direct sight to the cabin. If it doesn't work then I'll resort to plan B which is route some external CAT5e ethernet cable (cost about £30 @ £2 a metre or less) and can use the booster as a router to distribute WiFi in the cabin and garden.

I had a similar problem a couple of years ago. I ended up with a BT whole home mesh system (4 discs) wasn't cheap but it does the trick no problem, no speed drop and means in I can hide in the garage working and streaming music no problem, and in the summer when the gazebo is in use, iptv to my laptop and beers in the sunshine.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.