Will AI wipe out humanity?

Goaters

So while having my morning Weetabix I’ve been reading the Times. The main story is basically how a group of Head Teachers at a number of the best schools in England are very concerned how artificial intelligence will impact the profession and our children.

Their letter says: “Schools are bewildered by the very fast rate of change in AI and seek secure guidance on the best way forward, but whose advice can we trust? We have no confidence that the large digital companies will be capable of regulating themselves in the interests of students, staff and schools and in the past the government has not shown itself capable or willing to do so.

He added: “I’m worried young people are losing touch with reality, spending so much time interacting with augmented reality and virtual reality. As learning becomes more technological, their grasp of what is real and what is normal, what is true and untrue, will be progressively eroded.”

The most startling was the below;

The Times reported last week that one of the “godfathers” of AI research, Professor Stuart Russell, had warned that ministers were not doing enough to guard against the possibility of a super-intelligent machine wiping out humanity.

So, for anyone a bit more aware of the technology. Is this really potentially going to be the reason I won’t win the lottery in a few years and retire to the Bahamas with a Brazilian beauty?

I’m sure with global warming, Russia nuking us, AI wiping us out or a meteor smashing earth at some point it will be game over - so keep your head up.
Don't forget another pandemic, the sun going supernova, or being a ginger.

So while having my morning Weetabix I’ve been reading the Times. The main story is basically how a group of Head Teachers at a number of the best schools in England are very concerned how artificial intelligence will impact the profession and our children.

Their letter says: “Schools are bewildered by the very fast rate of change in AI and seek secure guidance on the best way forward, but whose advice can we trust? We have no confidence that the large digital companies will be capable of regulating themselves in the interests of students, staff and schools and in the past the government has not shown itself capable or willing to do so.

He added: “I’m worried young people are losing touch with reality, spending so much time interacting with augmented reality and virtual reality. As learning becomes more technological, their grasp of what is real and what is normal, what is true and untrue, will be progressively eroded.”

The most startling was the below;

The Times reported last week that one of the “godfathers” of AI research, Professor Stuart Russell, had warned that ministers were not doing enough to guard against the possibility of a super-intelligent machine wiping out humanity.

So, for anyone a bit more aware of the technology. Is this really potentially going to be the reason I won’t win the lottery in a few years and retire to the Bahamas with a Brazilian beauty?

You're not actually a human are you ?

We're all AI bots on here.

Don't forget another pandemic, the sun going supernova, or being a ginger.
I naively forgot about those things, I must have woke up too optimistic and missed the global virus created in a lab in China that nearly ended it all a couple of years ago.

On a serious point, if I was a betting man - which my bank account sadly shows I am - then I’d rate the following order of most likely to wipe out humanity.

1) Global Virus
2) AI
3) Russia nuke followed by everyone nuking each other
4) mark Goldbridge
5) Meteor

Could change though as new threats develop.

I naively forgot about those things, I must have woke up too optimistic and missed the global virus created in a lab in China that nearly ended it all a couple of years ago.

On a serious point, if I was a betting man - which my bank account sadly shows I am - then I’d rate the following order of most likely to wipe out humanity.

1) Global Virus
2) AI
3) Russia nuke followed by everyone nuking each other
4) mark Goldbridge
5) Meteor

Could change though as new threats develop.
Agreed mate, but I would probably add global warming to the list.
But at least it would do for the gingers first.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.