Will heading a ball ever get banned in football?

Discussion in 'General football forum' started by Kippaxian, 29 Nov 2019.

1. Pell

Pell

There already is a version of football with no heading - futsal. From an attacking point of view, heading does require skill (timing, getting it accurate from a cross whipped in, glancing header, diving header, etc), and you don't need good genes or to be a giant. Aguero and Messi are both good headers of the ball, most of Cahill's goals were headers, Owen, etc.

No skill involved here...

2. m7mcfc

m7mcfc

Banning heading the ball?
    Imagine the amount of injuries from attempted overhead kicks.
    Not thinking this through are we guys.

3. quiet_riot

quiet_riot

Team supported:
    City
    I shouldn't have, but I lol'd

4. mad4city

mad4city

I'm sure that the weight of the ball has to be a factor but I suspect that it's not the most significant one. As best I can understand it, the issue is the human brain sloshing about and impacting against the skull that does the most damage. Any repercussion from the impact with the ball, being somewhat cushioned by the outside of the skull.

At least, that's what I think is the best theory. I haven't studied medicine and I am only going off of vaguely remembered radio debates, back when rugby was coming to terms with the issue.

Having said all that, I hope heading isn't banned. The game would lose something. Although, I'm struggling to articulate exactly what that might be.

karen7 likes this.
  5. BosnianBlue

BosnianBlue

Team supported:
    City
    It was semi serious post, but Aguero and Messi (though, what is the example of this, his goal vs United?) can be as good as they want but they'll rarely win the header vs Van Diyk or Laporte. Genes still rulez there.

Btw, Rodri supports banning headers.

6. Psychedelic Casual

Psychedelic Casual

Hopefully not. It’s a good and important part of the game. I love a headed goal!

It’s like asking if punching will be banned in boxing.

7. Barcon

Barcon

It makes me wonder if the thread was started simply to draw a few simpletons out into the open for ridicule.

BlueMoonRisin' likes this.
  8. Pell

Pell

No wonder we never score from a corner.

BlueTG and BosnianBlue like this.
  9. BlueTG

BlueTG

It’d help if it was taught properly to youngsters in this day and age. The impact isn’t comparable to the game decades ago, though I imagine it still can and does cause damage and pose a risk.

Head down any weekend match at your local playing fields to watch a range of ages stand and flinch whilst the ball hits their head and ricochets their noggin in the opposite direction.

10. I hope so, that ball could kill someone. Kicking it hard and running very fast should also be outlawed, possibly results being in a stubbed toe or a painful trip. Think of the children.