Pep signs new contract until 2025 (p 1262)

No chance of Arteta from returning. He is at his club and there would be other candidates ahead of him.

That seems to escape some people. Pep does not do these things out of arrogance. It's popular to claim that he overthinks things, and maybe he does at times but it's the fact that he thinks so much about things that has helped him to achieve huge success as a manager and will hopefully lead to him solving the problems the team currently faces.

One thing Pep demands from his team is that they run like bastards. That is about as far from arrogant as you can get.

It doesn't just happen with Pep but the number of times I've seen or heard managers slagged when a team they picked and that should have been more than good enough to win a game has lost is many. Sometimes players just don't deliver and blaming the tactics and team selection are just a poor excuse. Top class players should be able to adapt out on the pitch if they need to but they should also get the basics right.

You are right! Unlike other sports Football has many knee jerk reactions and analysis

But

What is the stat of win ratio when gundogan is playing arround Rodri and De Bruyne wide?

Add to that Guardiola had the support of the club to buy players he wants.

The soending need to be justified by results, i am not saying winning a CL at zll cost (tbf i don't care that much), but you cannot miss the chance to get into semi 4 years in row losing against lesser teams Monaco, Liverpool (2 years ago), Spurs and now Lyon

In all of those games except Lyon lost away and shipped goals at home,

Last night wasn’t a one off this season has been awful and plenty including myself said we weren’t winning the CL this year. His record in it is really bad it’s just a fact. I’m hoping that as he hasn’t extended his contract he wasn’t planning on staying. I am hoping he leaves by mutual consent and with our best wishes but we don’t have much time to find a replacement and I don’t think the DOF signings will help any new guy.

Hope I’m wrong but next season will be similar to this.

I didn't think we'd win it either. But it doesn't excuse picking that team and playing in that way. I hope he stays. We clearly need a few players to refresh the squad which will help. The CL is in his hands. He can win it again if he stops getting in his own way. He isn't giving himself and the players the best opportunity to win and that is what sucks.

But right there is exactly why Pep was so guarded in his team selection. We battered them but conceded twice and there was another few opportunities where they were a over hit pass or wrong selection from other golden opportunities.

I would rather Pep went for it but we all know our defensive limitations and Pep tried to mitigate against that. People calling him arrogant (not you) are well wide of the mark, arrogance would have been playing exactly as we normally do and expecting a different outcome to previous results against United etc who use a low block and then break at pace.
I’d agree with that, maybe, against Munich or a firing PSG but Lyon? I still go back to having just beaten Madrid, home and away, without looking like a different team to the one we’ve watched most of the season. We conceded twice following 2 catastrophic errors from our one proper centre half and the goalkeeper, compounded by Sterling finishing as if he was playing against Liverpool. Pep said, before the game, that the most important thing was that city played in the same way they always play, win or lose and then he picks that team. I can’t remember the keeper saving anything you or I wouldn’t have saved so we weren’t creating anything like the chances we usually do and, with no Aguero in the team, that’s always going to be a problem.
Pep has a problem with experimenting at the wrong time. Why didn’t we try some of these systems in the last few games of the season? As I said, his blueprint was the 2nd half against Madrid and I’m curious what changed in 4 days.

That seems to escape some people. Pep does not do these things out of arrogance. It's popular to claim that he overthinks things, and maybe he does at times but it's the fact that he thinks so much about things that has helped him to achieve huge success as a manager and will hopefully lead to him solving the problems the team currently faces.

One thing Pep demands from his team is that they run like bastards. That is about as far from arrogant as you can get.

It doesn't just happen with Pep but the number of times I've seen or heard managers slagged when a team they picked and that should have been more than good enough to win a game has lost is many. Sometimes players just don't deliver and blaming the tactics and team selection are just a poor excuse. Top class players should be able to adapt out on the pitch if they need to but they should also get the basics right.
There were some poor performances but the team he picked didn't make any sense.

Playing two holding midfielders whilst playing a high line allowing the opposition to play a ball over the top completely negates the point of playing said holding midfielders - they get by-passed by one simple ball.

In addition, due to their collective lack of pace they were unable to join in our attacks. How many occasions did an outnumbered Sterling et al reach the byeline only to have no-one to cut the ball back to (Rodri and Gundoghan physically cannot make up the ground as they are too pedestrian). Think I clocked it at around 43 minutes the first time it worked from memory.

I am astounded that with the form that Foden has been showing, he didn't make it onto the pitch.

The Manager got it badly wrong........

I didn't think we'd win it either. But it doesn't excuse picking that team and playing in that way. I hope he stays. We clearly need a few players to refresh the squad which will help. The CL is in his hands. He can win it again if he stops getting in his own way. He isn't giving himself and the players the best opportunity to win and that is what sucks.

We are of the same opinion apart from I don’t think he can change. Let’s hope I’m completely wrong on this.

I don't think I need to answer that question, it's a bit insulting to be honest.. you can support a team and still voice critic if you see something. I'm not calling for him to be sacked btw.

Not much in your history to such you are a genuine City fan, which is why I asked.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.