Pep's contract situation

I think you do the players a disservice there. It was David's last season but he didnt down tools.
The players are born winners, with an appetite for success. They will play to win.
If Pep is leaving he will go out with honour.
Getting the right replacement, at the right time is going to be important, though.
I hope you're right mate, i think any employee can step back a touch when their Manager is leaving, it's human nature

This is not a reaction to last night i said this a year ago. Pep either signs a contract extension or he goes, we should not allow a situation where he is allowed to run down his contract, the club is bigger than any individual and that includes the greatest manager ever I hope he signs a 3 year contract and the club backs him rebuilding the squad and he needs a number 2 who will say, no Pep NO
I maybe wrong but I suspect we've been completely blind-sided by events and haven't even considered replacing him. It's very difficult to do in the best of times when you've been planning for the scenario.

I reckon City officials are probably in denial at the moment believing it's just fate or bad luck.

Fact remains that even if you have lost faith in Pep, it's extraordinarily difficult to replace him without badly damaging what we have done.

i am a bit worried we will see a recurrence of the pellegrini final season. Uncertainty over pep's future, knowing its his last year unless he signs a new contract, lack of pre-season, stale playing staff. its got the recipe for a disappointing season but perhaps thats just me being negative in the aftermath of what was our worst result of the season

i am a bit worried we will see a recurrence of the pellegrini final season. Uncertainty over pep's future, knowing its his last year unless he signs a new contract, lack of pre-season, stale playing staff. its got the recipe for a disappointing season but perhaps thats just me being negative in the aftermath of what was our worst result of the season

And Kevin Keagans

I’d agree with that, maybe, against Munich or a firing PSG but Lyon? I still go back to having just beaten Madrid, home and away, without looking like a different team to the one we’ve watched most of the season. We conceded twice following 2 catastrophic errors from our one proper centre half and the goalkeeper, compounded by Sterling finishing as if he was playing against Liverpool. Pep said, before the game, that the most important thing was that city played in the same way they always play, win or lose and then he picks that team. I can’t remember the keeper saving anything you or I wouldn’t have saved so we weren’t creating anything like the chances we usually do and, with no Aguero in the team, that’s always going to be a problem.
Pep has a problem with experimenting at the wrong time. Why didn’t we try some of these systems in the last few games of the season? As I said, his blueprint was the 2nd half against Madrid and I’m curious what changed in 4 days.

Like I said I wish Pep had played with more of our identity last night, but I can understand his rational for the reason he did what he did.

Its only Lyon is a bit if a misnomer to me as the issue was not facing the 7th best side in France but more facing a side with their distinct attributes was the issue and how it could expose our weaknesses.

Coincidentally Wolves finished 7th in England and there is a lot of parallels to Lyon in style (low block and counter attacking at pace) and there a side which causes us more problems, due to there style, than you would expect relative to their league position.

Similarly if you look across Europe to sides with similar philosophies, possession based, control spaces, high press (Nagelsmann at Leipzig, Sarri at Juventus) Lyon have also
done a job on those sides in this year Champs Lge so I think that was a cause for concern and influenced the team selection.

With regards Madrid as a blueprint, Madrid play a very diferent style to Lyon, playing a possession based game, with little threat behind, so I think its difficult to say definitively that should have been the blue print as we only have to look back at games against United, Wolves etc (low block, fast counter attacks) to see why Pep felt he had to change against a team playing in such a way.

Last edited:
This is not a reaction to last night i said this a year ago. Pep either signs a contract extension or he goes, we should not allow a situation where he is allowed to run down his contract, the club is bigger than any individual and that includes the greatest manager ever I hope he signs a 3 year contract and the club backs him rebuilding the squad and he needs a number 2 who will say, no Pep NO
Would you rather sack him and pay the massive compensation? I’ve never heard anything like it, it’s not as if we could get a fee for him and therefore should sell him with a year left he’s not a player!

won trophies before pep and will win trophies after him.
Since the takeover four trophies in eight years before Pep

since Pep, six trophies in four years

i know which I would rather have , this past four years will be looked on as our golden age.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.