Pep's contract situation

For me personally, the most realistic option is he completes his contract and leaves, while we start looking for a potential manager(s) right now. I don't see the point extending it for just one year.

it takes away the whole season being about “is this his last year” constant speculation, every press conference being asked about it and all the focus where it doesn’t need to be. Gives a years run at it even if it does end up being his last year/

if it was Pochitino not winning a thing after 5 years, then maybe i would agree. but this guy is a trophy winning machine. there aren't that many around, if you hadn't noticed.
winning (not winning) the chumps lge, for me, is not a big issue. i have no faith in the integrity of the competition, and the football gamesmanship is woeful. not football i like to watch.
anyway, as long as he is happy and as long as we play great attacking exciting football, and also as long as we take trophies away from the red teams in the league, for me he stays.
i actually cant believe there is a debate on this forum about the future of PEP fucking GUARDIOLA as MCFC MANAGER. my mind is boggling!!!!

The fall off from going back to back champions and having a domestic treble to ending the season with a mere Carabao cup is not good enough. He still has a year? How does saying 5 years is enough equivalent to saying he's bad or clueless?

Not an ounce of improvement in CL is also apparently no issue when it clearly is? I don't think City can keep attracting players to a project that won't progress in CL, much as the people on this forum somehow are okay with no CL those players and club clearly aren't, and neither should we. This squad is established enough for any manager after Pep to be able to do a job. If he doesn't get us past another quarters in CL next year then he should go, imo. Football isn't bereft of creative minds anymore, Pep will always be a standout and a genius mind, but so is Bielsa, and he's had a dreadful career in comparison getting moved on if necessary. It's really not the end of the world.

I also don't care for Pochettino that much neither do I badly want him as the next, but whoever it is I'm sure the club will do their best.

By not acknowledging that Pep's set up of City v Lyon back-fired.

You are just rejecting any and all criticism instinctively. The reality is that sometimes our opponents are good, and we are less than perfect.

Before the takeover, City has a history of incompetence and error and the supporters knew it, and yet still supported and criticised the club.
Clearly you must have been fully briefed as to what the game plan was, what strengths and weaknesses both sides had on the day of the game and what the physical condition of all our players were to deduce Pep through a wibble

Bottom line is, by all means have a concern, but please do not make out you were in possession of all the facts behind Pep's selection.

Liverpool and Spuds beating us were not down to tactics or team selection, but Pep is still having those failures attributed to him.

He is a very clever man and exceptional coach, he will have had and used good Intel when picking his teams. In the main they work, but not always, it doesn't mean he was overthinking or experimenting.

When you say “them”, don’t you mean “us”?
They means the club makes decisions. "Us" fans can do nothing but accept this European mediocrity when at least 2 golden opportunities have been fluffed to go far in CL

By not acknowledging that Pep's set up of City v Lyon back-fired.

You are just rejecting any and all criticism instinctively. The reality is that sometimes our opponents are good, and we are less than perfect.

Before the takeover, City has a history of incompetence and error and the supporters knew it, and yet still supported and criticised the club.

Am i though? If you read my comment back, i don't say he got it right ar lyon, i say the opposite. But we still could have won the game, despite that, there was enough in it. All of which i said in the lyon thread where that discussion belongs. I also think lyon aren't given enough credit for beati g us, they made no mistakes and they took their chances well btw.

The point i made was, that doesn't make us a failure in Europe the way many seem to claim, and it doesn't make pep incapable or undeservkng of praise for everything else we have achieved.

Much is made of how well City/Pep do in the CL. Ok I sort of get that but it's a knockout competition in the final stages where you need luck etc to get through. City havent had any luck in the knockout stages be it a dodge ref or VAR. Pep cant be held responsible for bent games.

Yes our lineup was wrong the other week as I moan about but at the end of the day VAR was used as a tool to hurt us. Their second goal shouldnt have stood. Than somehow Sterling misses. Luck ! Lyon had the good luck of VAR on their side like spurs and liverpool did when playing us in the CL. We had 'bad' luck , Sterling miss, our second goal against liverpool wrongly ruled out, spurs scoring the winner with an arm, our coach being attacked. All these things happen you cant blame Pep or the players for bent VAR, the coach attack, etc. In knockout games its easy to fix the results and I think this happens in football.

You could argue that with our players we should put the results out of sight so VAR etc cant influence the game, but that's not being realistic.

It would be interesting if the CL was a mini league home and away I think that would give you a true sence of how good a team is in Europe. After all LFC won it by losing 4 drawing 1 and finishing 25 points behind their league winners. I dont think City have lost for games in a CL season ( I stand to be corrected ).

It just goes to show how much luck, help, VAR, dodge ref'ing when you look at LFC states when they won it last , they were crap away from home losing 4 or 5 times finished 25 points behind us yet claimed to be the best in Europe when they weren't the best in England !. Plus the final was worst game of football I have ever seen the stand of play was shit. Almost like spurs just rolled over. Awful game. And yes I remember Pearce as our manager ;)

To judge Pep on the CL isnt fair. Yes Lyon was in my eyes a brain fart but looking back on the game VAR does its job correctly, goal ruled out stays 1-1.

For City to be on the wrong side of VAR for 3 seasons running isnt Peps fault. But makes you wonder why VAR is always against City

Last edited:
If this was any other big club in Europe Pep would have been sacked btw. Becoming more Pep FC and less Manchester City with this level of blind faith.

He's hardly doing a shit job though is he? He's the most succesful manager that we have ever had. Who do you think we could replace him with who would do better? This thing about he's only a success if he wins in Europe is bullshit, no other manager in this country gets measured on this. Most other managers don't win anything, he's won something every season exept the first, 19/20 season was unparalleled.

He has his faults, as does everyone, but for me he is still easily the best man for the job.

i want him to renew but he's not infallible . many times he fucks about with the team and we lose.

on here though he can do no wrong .

he definitely tinkers too much but is it down to having too many good players that he feels compelled to play them so picks a different team every week?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.