Will you attend City games if we join a European Super League?

Would you attend?

• Yes

Votes: 99 10.5%
  • No

Votes: 706 75.2%
  • Depends on what the plans are

Votes: 149 15.9%

• Total voters
Personally I’m gutted we’ve signed up to this project of greed. It’s highly likely there would be a Premeir League breakaway which would see the end of domestic football for us. I personally would find it hard to go back to the Etihad if this happened. City will always be my club but it won’t be the same feeling.
We will be the cause (along with others) of the ruination of domestic club football. The bigger clubs were finding it difficult to monopolise the game's elite players. TV money has allowed the Leicesters and Villas of this world to resist selling their best players (Grealish & Villa) or else drive a very hard bargain (Leicester and Maguire) before letting them go. Greenish won't be at Villa for much longer now, though. The 12 will hoover him up.

Professional football has and always will be driven by money. At the end of the day since the advent of live football on TV, Utd, Real and Barca have gained more fans worldwide than the rest combined. These three clubs have pushed this out of self interest. They're up to their eyeballs in debt, and expediting these plans is a way out. By doing this, they finally seize control of football forever. If the Der Bilt article on 05 Nov 18 is anything to go by, this has been planned for a long time now. These 3 clubs will have the controlling stake and a lions share of the profits.

Each participant will get €500m for playing in it each year for 15-20 years, plus a joining fee of €200-300m. No club in the world can turn that down out of principle.

From a purely business perspective, if offered the chance to join, City have to accept. By default the UCL collapses immediately, and is replaced by the ESL, if City don't join as founders they are effectively excluding themselves permanently. It's hard to see any of the other 5 annual places being offered to an English club, and that place City rejected could easily be offered to Everton, Villa, Ajax, Benfica or any other club.

So after the investment made by SM, in City and the CFG, do any of us seriously think he is going to waste that opportunity and say no? I think it's unfair to have a go at him, especially after what he has done to/for our club. Would any other City owner in the past have rejected it?

FIFA have threatened to ban players from International football, but this is a hollow threat. The FIFA video game is their biggest money spinner and it includes every player in the world, as a kid playing these games would you choose a game from the ESL or from FIFA minus ESL teams and players?

UEFAs alternative would give Utd, Liverpool etc permanent entry to the revamped UCL, so this sort of thing was happening anyhow albeit at a slower pace.

I was firmly against the Super League in England every time it was mooted in the late 80s / early 90s, and hated the EPL when it was formed on the back of that. Over the years I've got used to the EPL but still think it's wrong. However;

- Can any of us say the old Football League was better than the Premier League? not really.

- Can any of us say the old European Cup was better than the Champions League we have now? not really.

Regardless, I know we (the fans of all the clubs involved) will all get used to it, dislike it, but move on and continue going. A small number of us will say enough is enough, but not enough to change what's just happened. That's just how it is.

They know that, and that's why they've done it.
Great post. You get it.

Great post. You get it.
It's a sad and sobering synopsis of what appears to be happening. A realisation that nothing stands still.
Those of my generation of blues will rail against it but in the end your post is probably correct. I say probably because amidst the mayhem nobidy is entirely sure how this will pan out

If it's anything like the borefest that is the champions league group stages they can shove it up their hole.
City should have had the balls to take the moral high ground especially after these clubs tried to fuck us over with the FFP case.

Borefest of the CL group stages, you mean when the big teams play the smaller teams , that dream of playing the likes of Barca , Real , Bayern and even City.
The super league would be right up your street , no need to play Shakhtar, could play the big teams every week then.

Its a bad time for us for this to be starting.
We are on top in England, have been the dominant team of the last decade and that was only going to continue.

This will level out the playing field yet again. Architected by clubs hundred of millions of pounds in debt who couldn't compete with us.

No I wont be. Its a stretch to attend the shitty CL group games we have already. ESL "elite" games are going to cost a lot and I am not paying for that shit.

If we're kicked out of the PL then I guess football is over for me, I dont mind I'll move onto something else

Its a bad time for us for this to be starting.
We are on top in England, have been the dominant team of the last decade and that was only going to continue.

This will level out the playing field yet again. Architected by clubs hundred of millions of pounds in debt who couldn't compete with us.
Level the playing field or not join and be left in the dirt by all the other clubs who now have super league money and we have nothing. I think level the playing field is the lesser of the two evils.

I won’t be going.. by its very nature these will be the top clubs in Europe and the prices will be set accordingly. I refused to buy tickets for the Champions League games v Barca and Real Madrid as 4 tickets I need per game would have been north of 200 quid..

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.