Willie Donachie

I remember being sat low down in that shit bit between the main stand and the old platt lane.
Willie was defending close to our left corner flag , the winger was closing him down fast and big joe , still in the 6 yard box shouted he was available to help him.

He did no more than put an inch perfect almost corner like cross straight into the outstretched arms of the keeper - I could not believe what i had just seen.
Arguably , still our greatest left back .

From the MEN. Malcolm Allison was undoubtedly a great coach, but a poor manager who sadly destroyed the soul of our club.

"Back in 1977, Manchester City seemed to be on the brink of great things.

After their League Cup triumph the year before, courtesy of Dennis Tueart’s wonderful overhead kick, the Blues had finished second in the league only to Bob Paisley’s all-conquering Liverpool side.

They were packed with senior internationals and proven quality in the shape of England men Dave Watson, Mike Channon, Tueart, Brian Kidd and Joe Corrigan and Scotland aces Asa Hartford and Willie Donachie, as well as seeing fine young talents like Peter Barnes, Paul Power and Gary Owen thrusting through from the youth ranks, under the watchful eye of Tony Book.

Within two years, it had fallen apart at the seams, that fine team having its heart ripped out and replaced by inferior players - a process that led to 30 years of mayhem and mismanagement."

From the MEN. Malcolm Allison was undoubtedly a great coach, but a poor manager who sadly destroyed the soul of our club.

After their League Cup triumph the year before, courtesy of Dennis Tueart’s wonderful overhead kick, the Blues had finished second in the league only to Bob Paisley’s all-conquering Liverpool side.

They were packed with senior internationals and proven quality in the shape of England men Dave Watson, Mike Channon, Tueart, Brian Kidd and Joe Corrigan and Scotland aces Asa Hartford and Willie Donachie, as well as seeing fine young talents like Peter Barnes, Paul Power and Gary Owen thrusting through from the youth ranks, under the watchful eye of Tony Book.

Within two years, it had fallen apart at the seams, that fine team having its heart ripped out and replaced by inferior players - a process that led to 30 years of mayhem and mismanagement."
We finished 2nd by a point but who knows what would have happened if we hadn't conceded in
2nd half injury time against Liverpool at Maine Road at a time when it was 2 points for a win and 1 for a draw.

We finished 2nd by a point but who knows what would have happened if we hadn't conceded in
2nd half injury time against Liverpool at Maine Road at a time when it was 2 points for a win and 1 for a draw.
Own goal on a freezing winter night if my sketchy memory is correct

i still don't know why tony book was stood down and replaced by Malcolm Allison as manager ? something was not right when the board come out with we wanted to win silverware was the quote from the board and swales so Malcolm Allison was the answer ??

don't try and fix what is not broken and city had the best squad in the league and a great youth setup what more could you ask for. city was always going to play 2nd fiddle to liverpool they was the controlling power back in the 1970s.
but city had a squad of internationals themselves and one or 2 great young talent coming through and fancy taking on anybody

why swales and the board did what they thought was right with Malcolm Allison i will never understand.
Malcolm Allison he was hell bent of turning city into trash and knew what he was doing he was a demolition man
he made 1000% sure manchester city was finished and spent the money city built from the 1960s on worst players we all ready had. ok john bond had little success with Malcolm Allison players but he brought in 3 or 4 of his own to settle the team that was fighting the drop

but swales again bluffed john bond into thinking there was money available and bond wanted to build a new team with trevor francis being the main man. but swales sold him 9 months later and city never again was a major club until 2008

i still don't know why tony book was stood down and replaced by Malcolm Allison as manager ? something was not right when the board come out with we wanted to win silverware was the quote from the board and swales so Malcolm Allison was the answer ??

don't try and fix what is not broken and city had the best squad in the league and a great youth setup what more could you ask for. city was always going to play 2nd fiddle to liverpool they was the controlling power back in the 1970s.
but city had a squad of internationals themselves and one or 2 great young talent coming through and fancy taking on anybody

why swales and the board did what they thought was right with Malcolm Allison i will never understand.
Malcolm Allison he was hell bent of turning city into trash and knew what he was doing he was a demolition man
he made 1000% sure manchester city was finished and spent the money city built from the 1960s on worst players we all ready had. ok john bond had little success with Malcolm Allison players but he brought in 3 or 4 of his own to settle the team that was fighting the drop

but swales again bluffed john bond into thinking there was money available and bond wanted to build a new team with trevor francis being the main man. but swales sold him 9 months later and city never again was a major club until 2008
Why he did it is well documented:

Swales was like some of our fans: totally obsessed with Man United. Our attendances in the late 70s had got within a few thousand of theirs, and Swales decided he needed one final push. They are his words, not mine. So he pushed Book to one side, rehired Allison and the club didn't recover until The Sheikh took us over.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.