Wireless Thingy

blue_wkd

Well i've now decided my laptop is NEVER going to connect wirelessly, despite it being wireless enabled, so im going to buy a thingy that I can plug in to the usb port to make it connect wirelessly. Only problem being, as you can probably tell, I have no clue what this thingy is, & therefore have no idea where to search for it! Help? Anyone?

o.k you must have a wirless box plugged into your phone line at home. if you have all you need is a length of CAT5 cable that will hard wire your laptop to your wireless "thingy". and that should work.

if you do not have a wireless thingy in your houes you need to get hold of a regular broadband router ( about 8 quid off ebay)

D

Well ukmanchesterdan, I have no idea what any of that means. Far too technical! So im just gonna buy one of them things mancmackem suggested & hope for the best!

I've taken this from a works presentation after making some adaptions: -

wirelessak4.jpg

Without the router, it's pretty pointless getting the dongle WKD as this is where it picks the wireless connection up from.

x x

Also, you can just plug the wireless router into the filter going into your phone socket, and use the wireless dongle to pick up the connection. You don't need the pc part to that diagram.

I've got a router. A sky one. Like this.

product_image1.jpg

So if I get one of those things, & plug it into my laptop, will I be able to get on the internet without wires?

Yes, just plug the phone cable that came supplied with your router into the ADSL/DSL side of your microfilter that goes into the phone socket, and into the DSL socket on the router. Then just plug the router in, plug the dongle into the laptop i posted the link to and away you go.

You might need to configure your router settings at a later time for certain applications but you should be ready to go for the basic stuff with the setup above.

hang on, before you go out and buy the "thingy" what is the modle of your laptop. if it has got wireless the "thingy" will be a waste of money.
D

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.