With Low Audience and Attention span shortening, is it time for football to change - Good Read

That is a really interesting article. It's not surprising the Champions League audience is declining. Let's be honest the group stages are mostly turgid. They are not as entertaining as FA Cup matches for example. The attention span issue is a huge challenge for all sports. One way to tackle this is to aggressively target young fans to make them watch games live. If you can hook them early they will probably stick with your club for life and also watch them on TV. Watching broadvcast matches as a neutral is crap compared to when you are emotionally involved.
Exactly. MLB do a load of research into this and there are 2 key factors. Getting youngsters playing the game & getting to live games at an early an age as possible.

City (& other clubs) are missing both tricks in my view. The playing focus is on the elite group and they have to be very committed and it's quite ruthless, even at under-8 level. They should extend it so they kids are playing for fun rather than trying to reach an exacting standard.

And we should be doing everything we can to get them into the stadium regularly. We need a new version of the Junior Blues and attractive prices for families. Even free tickets if necessary.

Last edited:
However, then BT came along. How much this has affected Sky I don't know, but I particularly remember some stupid woman from one of the consumer groups (possibly Ofcom but I'm not sure), telling us how wonderful it was that the UK viewer now had competition which would make prices more competitive. What obviously when straight over her head was the fact that fans of any Premier League club would now have to pay for Sky AND BT, thus making it more expensive, not cheaper.

Nail on head. Too many influencers in this country lack brain cells.

I’ll be honest, I’m completely fed up with champions league football, I just find the format boring.

The standard of the Champions League games so far this season is terrible.

Just hope the last 16 games are considerably better.

It's wide open that any team could win it, and if we could sort our defence out we have as good a chance as anyone.

Does my head in all this. You're either a football fan or not and if you are, you watch the game for the 90 minutes.

My wife was out last night on the piss. I had the house to myself and I watched Southampton v West Ham then Atletico Madrid v osasuna and enjoyed both games although neither were classics.

Watching clips of skilful players on YouTube isn't and never will be as entertaining as watching a game of football. We're getting more and more American as each day passes and it's embarrassing.

one of the reasons the audience dropped, they moved it to bt rather than itv ,alright in the short term for the money ,but a hell of a lot less people now watch it

Officially, I'd bet the same numbers watch, just not paying to watch on paid for channels. I know very few people who pay for sports channels, but they all watch the games.

Football is changing and I don't like it one bit, the direction it is travelling excludes what I want from watching the game. That said it's not up to me, the fancy new tweaks and the clamour to reach for the money pot has been decided by the people who are buying into it, the power-brokers are doing this to the game with the consent of the modern match-goer.
This isn't about me though and my days of being an avid consumer and believer in local support being part of a distinct part of a tribal group of like-minded fans is gone, it's left the building and it isn't coming back. It's not got to the point where I don't watch City but it's on the horizon my local on league team beckons when that day comes.

However, then BT came along. How much this has affected Sky I don't know, but I particularly remember some stupid woman from one of the consumer groups (possibly Ofcom but I'm not sure), telling us how wonderful it was that the UK viewer now had competition which would make prices more competitive. What obviously when straight over her head was the fact that fans of any Premier League club would now have to pay for Sky AND BT, thus making it more expensive, not cheaper.

Nail on head. Too many influencers in this country lack brain cells.
It was OFCom who stop the monopoly of one broadcaster and forced the PL to offer packages with a restriction on how many each broadcaster could win, this worked well for the consumer who now has to have 3 subscriptions to watch al the live games

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.