With so much money spent in the Premier League,why are many games boring?

Simply no points for a non scoring team (even a 0-0 draw) would mean teams having to at least try to score although once done the bus could still be parked

Make it 4 points for a win, 2 for a draw and one if you score but lose. 0 if you don't score. That way you could lose 6-1 and still pick up a point. Fans would get better value for money as teams would be loathe to park the bus and the 4 points would he enticing. They have changed it once before so why not again?

Make it 4 points for a win, 2 for a draw and one if you score but lose. 0 if you don't score. That way you could lose 6-1 and still pick up a point. Fans would get better value for money as teams would be loathe to park the bus and the 4 points would he enticing. They have changed it once before so why not again?
Good idea, cannot see it happening but you are absolutely right, the points system benefits defensive play too much. I would also suggest that an away win should be awarded more points than a home win. Changing the risk/reward profile is definitely the way to go.

Too many teams trying desperately to scrape the points to stay up. Jose showing how you can pay a fortune for players but play incredibly defensively.

The fear of losing and beginning a slide. Look at EFC. Spent good money on reasonably decent players, didn't get the striker they wanted, but it's gone belly up. Teams are fearful of ending up in a scenario like that, so they play the percentages. If you have a team with technique and talent you can swashbuckle. Technique but modest talent and yer into multi-storey car parking tactics to hang on to the point yer started with.

Good idea, cannot see it happening but you are absolutely right, the points system benefits defensive play too much. I would also suggest that an away win should be awarded more points than a home win. Changing the risk/reward profile is definitely the way to go.

Unfortunately, the people who govern football move at a snail's pace or backwards. They would not be able to get their collective heads around what it might mean. Would the teams who have won the titles in the past still win them on the new basis? If it meant that 'certain' teams would be disadvantaged then it would be a source of 'continuing discussion' but little else.

Because managers like Mourinho, Pulis, Dyche and Hodgson hate fun.

You also needs two things from a player - technique and pace. If you have an insufficient quantity of either in your team your tactics will reflect a set up that attempts to negate what technique and pace your opponents have! There is more than a handful of clubs coming to the Etihad where you know little ambition will be shown.

Unfortunately, the people who govern football move at a snail's pace or backwards. They would not be able to get their collective heads around what it might mean. Would the teams who have won the titles in the past still win them on the new basis? If it meant that 'certain' teams would be disadvantaged then it would be a source of 'continuing discussion' but little else.
True, when you look at how long it took them to take onboard goal line technology, anything radical doesn’t really stand a chance.

I had a similar issue about a year or 2 ago and even made a thread about it. I went on to say how my love for the game had been pushed to it's absolute limits of watching tiresome tactics of boring football, 10 at the back and a slow ass paced game. It got to the point where watching league two football was miles better than premier league football, and in some cases it still is.

Watching City now we've adapted to tiresome tactics is so much better and I'm thoroughly entertained week in week out, but I think overall a large percentage of fans have adapted this kind of attitude where they aren't bothered how their team plays, as long as they pick up points on the way.
You don't see the teams of the 90s anymore like Newcastle, United, Leeds, Liverpool that played to win every game rather than draw.... imagine watching United vs Arsenal 15 years ago and both teams set up for a point?

Everton is a prime example this season so far, they were commended for playing so defensively against us this season at our place, but other than that game they haven't had a single good performance under their belt so far, and we're 4 months into the season already.

no points for goalless draws, and a point per goal scored

thus stoke get 2 points for being nice and losing 7-2, and burnley get fuck all for trying to be difficult and losing 3-0

You also needs two things from a player - technique and pace. If you have an insufficient quantity of either in your team your tactics will reflect a set up that attempts to negate what technique and pace your opponents have! There is more than a handful of clubs coming to the Etihad where you know little ambition will be shown.

If you have inferior players and an inferior team you don't really have a choice but show little ambition.

Football isn't like the NFL where there is a level playing field.

The rags have 1 player that costs more than Burley's starting 11. So of course Burnley for example can't play tiki taka and expect to win.

I'm really not sure what football fans actually expect when they complain about how inferior teams set up.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.