Women's Team - 2019/2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me the biggest impact on attendances has been the move to a winter season, the Academy stadium is an exposed, bleak place on a cold and wet November day, far more so than the main stadium.

Why can’t they do a summer league. The best chance for the women’s game is to have it on when the men’s game isn’t.

Supposedly to fit in with the WCL, which none of our teams will get close to due to the salary issue.
Too many of the women’s games last season clashed with the men’s. Not sure of the club/league realise that promoting it as a great ‘see two games in one day’ type thing is unfeasible given many of us have season tickets for the men without our kids. And , don’t get me wrong I love city, but spending 6hrs at the campus is a stretch! When the women play on a different day it’s much easier to bring the kids.

I guess the issue is that if you look at teams like Notts County Women's team that went bust owing 1/2 million pounds while only having a total projected incoming revenue from attendances and sponsorship of £28,000 the league simply isn't viable for more than a handful of teams even now with a salary cap it can only support 12 clubs and I guess the vast majority of them are doing off the back of sizable level of upkeep from the parent club.

I read a while back that the season before last Arsenal gave a grant of £1.5m to their women's team, who then lost £265k over the course of that season

What's the betting the Scum will have a whole host of new signings, meanwhile our players are just wanting to clear off abroad.
Strange how the Premier League are making noises to take over the WSL now the Rags are up...

I think you have correctly outlined the rational for a salary cap - but Notts County and Yeovil went bust despite it - so the league is placing huge restrictions on itself without perhaps great effect. Personally I’d take a different view - the 20 PL clubs should commit to funding a women’s team - they can all afford it... and as City have shown it’s a positive business model.
If the Premier League are going to fund anything it should be lower league football. England is unique in having 4 (almost 5) fully professional leagues (all of which get far higher crowds than women's football). Let women's football stand on its own. Sadly the standard in women's football is shocking - when under 15 boys teams can beat the world champions (and bear in mind "soccer" is pretty much a women's game in USA so most girls are exposed to it at a young age thus the excuse of an "immature game" is lost). I have no problem with women's football succeeding but not if a "Notts County" for example go bust because money that could be diverted to lower league football ends up going to women's football

If the Premier League are going to fund anything it should be lower league football. England is unique in having 4 (almost 5) fully professional leagues (all of which get far higher crowds than women's football). Let women's football stand on its own. Sadly the standard in women's football is shocking - when under 15 boys teams can beat the world champions (and bear in mind "soccer" is pretty much a women's game in USA so most girls are exposed to it at a young age thus the excuse of an "immature game" is lost). I have no problem with women's football succeeding but not if a "Notts County" for example go bust because money that could be diverted to lower league football ends up going to women's football

I suspect you already know that wasn't a real game. Much like everyone else who is suddenly bringing it up now two years after the event.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.