Women's Team - 2019/2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both semifinals of Conti Cup confirmed for 7:30 on 29th #ycmiu!
FA Cup v Ragettes moved to Saturday 25th.

Good post.

is it too much to ask of Manchester City FC that they put more effort (In fact some effort) into promoting the women’s team. For Wednesday night’s match I could have hoped that somewhere they could have related live scores as the game progressed. As it where I had to rely on colleagues on Bluemoon to update me. So - No live tv, no live commentary, and now no video. We can have short videos of training sessions or comments about certain players but no real effort from City to promote one of it’s senior teams.i did try to look at YouTube, Twitter and Facebook but. I don’t really engage with social media so I may have missed an opportunity. I did try City Tv but as I have a Panasonic smart tv it would not couple with the App (yet another badly thought out and badly managed scheme)

I have come to the conclusion that City are just playing at supporting the Women’s team. There is a chance that with a new experienced manager a new era might commence. City have to put their money where their mouth (and posters at the Etihad) are.

I actually signed up to City TV for the women’s games but don’t even bother now.
The FA Player shows most WSL games live anyway and will hopefully do the same for the Conti Cup although we’ll all be at the Etihad anyway.

I was surprised to see one of the pundits on tv (might have been Rachel Brown-Finnis) state that part of the reason forCushing’s departure was his frustration with City’s lack of ambition so it will be interesting to see how the new coach fares.

CFG prioritising advancement of the women’s team, apparently:

I've long thought it's a bit weird we don't dominate the women's game because it seems so (comparatively) easy and such a good way of differentiating yourself and appearing progressive - especially back in the days before United had a women's team (ie before 2018). There's not that much competition, we already have the facilities and name to attract any player and the amount of money needed to get the best in the world is almost embarrassingly small, <1m/year.

I was listening to one of the major podcasts who had a journalist who covers WSL say that basically we were top of the WSL but had a really weak squad and had very little chance of winning even before the manager left. Chelsea and Arsenal much better squads with world class players, apparently. I suppose they do have London as an attraction, but then again Wolfsburg and Lyon aren't the best cities in the world and they dominate Europe.

The Premier League audience is still something like 70% Male and I would imagine it would be pretty profitable to bring younger female audiences to the club as women's football grows in the UK off the back of the Lionesses doing well and the TV coverage push.

CFG prioritising advancement of the women’s team, apparently:

Over the last few months, I've seen a few claims in the media, including from Jack Gaughan himself, that Arsenal and Chelsea have increased their investments in their women's set-ups but City haven't followed suit. The Athletic even claimed recently that this was a factor in Nick Cushing's decision to move on. If this latest report is true, the powers that be within MCFC have obviously decided that if we have a women's team, it needs to be resourced to compete at the highest level it can. That's an approach I agree with.

Reactions: nmc
Over the last few months, I've seen a few claims in the media, including from Jack Gaughan himself, that Arsenal and Chelsea have increased their investments in their women's set-ups but City haven't followed suit. The Athletic even claimed recently that this was a factor in Nick Cushing's decision to move on. If this latest report is true, the powers that be within MCFC have obviously decided that if we have a women's team, it needs to be resourced to compete at the highest level it can. That's an approach I agree with.

It’s good news that Steph Houghton has signed a new 2 year contract. Hopefully, there will be further investment like you say but Nick Cushing couldn’t get a performance out of the team in the Champs League for a few years. If he’s been bleating that’s City was underresourced then it’s a bit poor IMHO. We’ve had a team full of internationals even if a few of the very best players moved abroad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.