Women's Team 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Manchester City can confirm that Aoife Mannion, Geum-min Lee and Tyler Toland have left the Club following the expiration of their respective contracts.

Not too surprising. Mannion's time with us hampered by injuries and the other two never really looked like featuring too much for us. Wish them good luck wherever they end up.

The Women's team seem to have been going much harder in the market this season.
Bunny Shaw and Vicky Losada are real coups.
I feel the club are anticipating a boom in women's football following the recent TV deal.

As someone who doesn't follow the women's team, can I ask there seems to be a really high turnover of players, is that the same across the whole league and does that impact peoples enjoyment of it?

As someone who doesn't follow the women's team, can I ask there seems to be a really high turnover of players, is that the same across the whole league and does that impact peoples enjoyment of it?
The WSL has a salary cap in place so the league will lose some of it's best players to teams in the French, Spanish & German leagues because they can pay higher wages. Of the clubs that publish wages in their accounts, we have the highest but both Chelsea and Arsenal don't separate this from their operating costs so we're likely to be 2nd highest paying club at best. Even with the salary cap most of the teams in the WSL are operating at a loss

Last year we were able to bring in a couple of Americans (as did a few other clubs) on short term contracts due to the suspension of the game in the US due to the pandemic. Clubs don't offer long term contracts in the main, usually 2-3 years rather than 3-5 in the men's so you don't tend to see that many transfers between clubs as they usually fulfill their term before moving on.

With the increased TV deals now coming into place this may change in the future (BT and BBC used to just cover the costs previously rather than pay for rights as they do in the men's game).

The WSL has a salary cap in place so the league will lose some of it's best players to teams in the French, Spanish & German leagues because they can pay higher wages. Of the clubs that publish wages in their accounts, we have the highest but both Chelsea and Arsenal don't separate this from their operating costs so we're likely to be 2nd highest paying club at best. Even with the salary cap most of the teams in the WSL are operating at a loss

Last year we were able to bring in a couple of Americans (as did a few other clubs) on short term contracts due to the suspension of the game in the US due to the pandemic. Clubs don't offer long term contracts in the main, usually 2-3 years rather than 3-5 in the men's so you don't tend to see that many transfers between clubs as they usually fulfill their term before moving on.

With the increased TV deals now coming into place this may change in the future (BT and BBC used to just cover the costs previously rather than pay for rights as they do in the men's game).
Thanks for your long reply, personally I have always thought salary caps are at very best problematic, the best system I have seen if you go down that route is the system Major League Baseball has, basically teams can spend within a band and are "taxed" if they fall outside that(either over or below)and that money is pooled and distributed to all the teams. Of course the advantage MLB has is its pretty much a monopoly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.