Words and phrases you don't hear any more.

'I can feel it in me waters'

'You'll get a beating within an inch of your life'

'I'll be painting the town red tonight'

Words that have been or are being superceded by Americanisms:

Sneaked (Snuck)
Pissed off (Pissed)
Outside (Outside of)
Off (Off of)
Got (Gotten)
Increase (Uptick)
Beginning (Get go)
Lieutenant ('Lootenant')
Phil Neville was on 5Live a few years ago talking about Ferguson and how he had trusted "Lootentants". I think it was Mark Champan doing the interview who also started saying Lootenants instead of what would have been the correct BBC form. I immediately attributed it to some United bias and not wanting to embarrass poor Phil!

South Yorkshire. Sheffield/Barnsley Rotherham and Donny(Doncaster) all say that. Barnsley is flattest accent in England I think. Tha kno's. Na then, Si thi later.
Initially I was going to pin it down to West Yorkshire as it’s always been people from there I’d experienced it with but I guess it must be a Yorkshire thing in general .

Here, let me open the door for you, madam.
Would you like this seat?

Initially I was going to pin it down to West Yorkshire as it’s always been people from there I’d experienced it with but I guess it must be a Yorkshire thing in general .
I find accents fascinating throughout the UK, especially in England as I recognise quite a few from places such as Stoke Leeds Mansfield Nottingham Middlesbrough Portsmouth Southampton etc etc. It's local dialect for obvious reasons of subtle differences. Talking to local in pubs and working with guys from all over the UK and I'm travelling to places for work has given me understanding of differences of accent.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.