Words we don’t use anymore

I just watched a clip from Victoria Coren Mitchell where she called James Bond a terrible wazzock. That can make a come back.

My first serious girlfriend — a Manc — used a word she'd picked up from her dad, “raunging”, as in “stop raunging around on the couch”. Not even sure of the spelling, since it's not a word I've ever seen written down. Thing is, I never heard anyone use it outside of her family. It meant stretching out and making yourself a sight too comfy.
Suffice it to say that we spent a fair amount of time raunging on the couch once the old folks had gone off to bed. Ah the places you have to make do with in your teen years…
Now that is really interesting. My Mum used a similar word for exactly those circumstances, lying on the sofa with my legs up and constantly fidgeting, and she used to say to me ' Stop rawling...' I have no idea how it would be spelt, but pronounced like that, raw-ling. She came from Irlam as did her family from generations back so no idea where it came from.

Now that is really interesting. My Mum used a similar word for exactly those circumstances, lying on the sofa with my legs up and constantly fidgeting, and she used to say to me ' Stop rawling...' I have no idea how it would be spelt, but pronounced like that, raw-ling. She came from Irlam as did her family from generations back so no idea where it came from.

You know, I've got the faintest of suspicions — this is fifty years back we're talking — that her dad came from that part of the world.
They would invite me for ‘tea’ when dad got back in from work. Tea was of course a full meal, at about 6 p.m. or so. I'd never had tea like that before. In my family, it was a drink. We had Eccles cakes with it. All very exotic for me. As I suppose I was for them.

You know, I've got the faintest of suspicions — this is fifty years back we're talking — that her dad came from that part of the world.
They would invite me for ‘tea’ when dad got back in from work. Tea was of course a full meal, at about 6 p.m. or so. I'd never had tea like that before. In my family, it was a drink. We had Eccles cakes with it. All very exotic for me. As I suppose I was for them.
Well there you go, the timing fits as I am 63 so we would be talking 50 - 55 years ago. Perhaps we're related :) !!!

Think I've heard that too in days gone by - this is Ramsbottom/Tottington area - meaning being unsettled when you don't have reason to be.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.