Work Place advice!

Kill Your Friends by John Niven is a super novel about an A&R man in 90's Britpop determined to climb his way to the top. He stops at nothing.

We were quite fortunate in my long term job at a publishing house. The team of five were so different (nerdy me, camp gay man, Mr Trendy Leftie, on a different planet lad and the cool 19 year old girl apprentice) but we got on superbly. Pay day Nandos at lunch was a must and we'd spoil each other with treats. The apprentice reported to me and I viewed her as the little sister I never had. It took a while to get going but there was never any issues as a group. We all worked well despite being very, very different.

The one in question at my place has it cushty and knows she wouldn't get a job anywhere as well paid or the same job title elsewhere. Always threatening to leave but never does any of us a favour and actually leaves.

I'm struggling a bit there at the moment as like-minded individuals are either leaving or being hung out to dry with her raking them over the coals to the bosses. Don't know whether it's best to try and move on or hang around and hope to eventually move up the slippery ladder, but I'm an honest face value human being who will refuse to stamp on anybody to further my own career. Seems to be a dying breed in these companies.

I'm of a similar mindset to you. I work in a role where relationship building is key and I think this particular person is jealous that I can almost effortlessly do what he has to try hard to do. This is in no way a brag as I am actually my own biggest critic. But he constantly tries to create a perception that my life is easier than his and stomps his feet when he doesn't get his way. The manager fears him but to me he's all fart and no shit. Imagine being a 40 year old bloke and going on about how you can't play 5 a side because you're afraid you'll chin someone, but then you have to get a manager to do all your bidding. He's a sausage and I have a long memory.

Stick to your guns mate.
Blowing out someone else's candle does not make yours brighter

Make a pass at the boss in the bogs. An unpredictable tactic, but guaranteed to change the workplace dynamic for better or worse. If it goes tits-up phone in with a cough the next day and have 10 days self-isolating netflix action while things calm down. Failing that, torch the place at night.
you forgot about bricking the windows and smashing the gaffers wifes back door in

Posts like this that remind me how lucky i am to be self employed

I'm aiming for that with a cross between publishing and property lets. I'd actually love a bit of casual part time work when I'm on a career break. An independent shop or a good local pub. It'd be carefree and fun.

I'm of a similar mindset to you. I work in a role where relationship building is key and I think this particular person is jealous that I can almost effortlessly do what he has to try hard to do. This is in no way a brag as I am actually my own biggest critic. But he constantly tries to create a perception that my life is easier than his and stomps his feet when he doesn't get his way. The manager fears him but to me he's all fart and no shit. Imagine being a 40 year old bloke and going on about how you can't play 5 a side because you're afraid you'll chin someone, but then you have to get a manager to do all your bidding. He's a sausage and I have a long memory.

Stick to your guns mate.
Blowing out someone else's candle does not make yours brighter

Sounds like a chip on the shoulder insecure man who's never properly grown up. It's annoying at work as this is someone you could laugh at and actively avoid at say a bar or a hotel. But you end up stuck with these cunts for 40+ hours a week, even if it's out of office, it can wear even the most worldly aware of people down.

In Big Airways i saw a junior secretary go from just that ,to head of department because she had come up with an idea ! Her idea was to copy and paste the BBC weather every hour and mass e mail it to the flight crew and cabin crew every hour !! Now the flightdeck had access to state of the art weather forecasting at any given time while on duty, and the cabin crew would be briefed by the captain on weather down route as well. This idea and its implication got her promoted way above what she was capable of with a salary to match, she was a disaster the idea got binned after a flood of complaints but she had her promotion and salary and she was on her way to the corporate world .

I'm aiming for that with a cross between publishing and property lets. I'd actually love a bit of casual part time work when I'm on a career break. An independent shop or a good local pub. It'd be carefree and fun.
Its bloody hard dont get me wrong but its a small price to pay for not having to answer to and make money for The Man

In Big Airways i saw a junior secretary go from just that ,to head of department because she had come up with an idea ! Her idea was to copy and paste the BBC weather every hour and mass e mail it to the flight crew and cabin crew every hour !! Now the flightdeck had access to state of the art weather forecasting at any given time while on duty, and the cabin crew would be briefed by the captain on weather down route as well. This idea and its implication got her promoted way above what she was capable of with a salary to match, she was a disaster the idea got binned after a flood of complaints but she had her promotion and salary and she was on her way to the corporate world .

Scary scary stuff. Was there a conflict of interest above? I.e a male senior member of staff knobbing her? Or a weak man shit scared of her? Sounds just like at my place, where one gobshite woman causes carnage and gets praised for it. Well on her way to a back door invitation to an Associate Project Management qualification, all paid for by work. She talks too much which will eventually catch up with her, but can't see it happening any time soon at the current employer.

Scary scary stuff. Was there a conflict of interest above? I.e a male senior member of staff knobbing her? Or a weak man shit scared of her? Sounds just like at my place, where one gobshite woman causes carnage and gets praised for it. Well on her way to a back door invitation to an Associate Project Management qualification, all paid for by work. She talks too much which will eventually catch up with her, but can't see it happening any time soon at the current employer.
Once the realisation that her promotion was beyond her skill set and that she was going to be found out in the role, then yes she latched on to a senior manager and sucked knob like a pro and was really quite blase about it to be honest, last i heard she had been promoted sideways a few times but was still getting protection from above .

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.