World Cup 2018 | 11th July | SF: Croatia vs England Match Thread, KO 19:00 (BST)

That is the big question and I'm not sure they can

We can't if we start with only Henderson as an actual midfielder and have Alli and Lingard too far forward. We need to go to a back four imo, add Delph to Henderson and let Alli play behind Kane with Lingard and Sterling slightly wider. No need for wing backs this game, keep it tight and let the front 3 plus Alli get at their poor back 4, We'll have a field day against Lovren.

Can’t fucking wait. I can’t even comprehend what it will feel like if we win on Wednesday, then have the build up to England in the WC bloody final!!
Its hard to get my head around we even have a chance, never mind a really good one of getting to a WC final. Im absolutely buzzing for Weds. Got to work in Durham till about 2:30 then ill be bombing it back down the M1 and M6 and straight to the pub. The whole country is going to be bouncing for it. Then if we win, the buildup to Sunday will just be amazing.

Croatia’s performance against Argentina was standout. Very ordinary v Iceland, Denmark and Russia, those last two games going to extra time and pens must have taken a toll on what is an aging side. We score first, we win in 90 mins.

I worry to be honest. Our midfield will be dominated this game as unlike Russia and Denmark we will try to play expansive football, think this is the end of the road

Cant see anything but an England victory tbh, don't think Croatia have anything special about them whatsoever and if it comes down to who can be the most effective, functional team then we will win hands down. We will score from a corner and we will head everything away from the poor mans Edin Dzeko that they have upfront. They might get the ball out to Perisic and the other winger who both looked pretty direct, but neither look exactly deadly and if you cant break down Russias collection of shit pensioners then you won't break us down easily.

The only kind of team who I wouldn't fancy us against is one with genuine quality, who won't let us get the ball and move the ball quickly enough so they can attack us in the wider areas to take advantage of our wingbacks and run at Maguire and I don't think Croatia have that. Belgium are the only team that really worries me as despite all their talent, I don't think France move the ball quick enough to really worry us. If France can beat Belgium tomorrow, I genuinely think it's coming home.

I understand the logic of the suggestions to change the shape, but I feel like if you manage the risk of being overrun in midfield by countering with the addition of players who aren't of the same quality of modric and rakitic anyway; and who could potentially hinder England's own ability on the counter, then I'm not sure what the real upside is.

I think this team is good at hunting in packs, getting turnovers, and hitting/stretching opponents' defenses to create chances/set pieces. And it's not like it leaks goals (relative opponent quality noted.) Moreover, it really uses the speed of someone like walker to great effect in that (even when he's part of a back 3, I think certain opposition movements simply never materialize because he snuffs them out). So dropping him seems especially risky to me.

And if people think Croatia may be tired, then might it not play into their hands to potentially slow the overall pace (and accumulated speed/chemistry of movement) that England has (somewhat) developed in this WC run?

Again, risks to be sure. And in a lot of ways I'd love to see Delph in the midfield...but with the other tweaks it seems to necessitate I wonder if you complicate something that has largely worked.

I fear they will show up Hendon Jorderson, he is not in the right class for midfield in a World Cup semi final against them
Henderson was excellent against City in the CL game at Anfield. He was like a man possessed winning the ball of our midfielders. We laugh because his head is too big for his neck to support and it wobbles around a bit like one of those caricature dolls from about twenty years ago but in reality Klopp is a good coach and wouldn't have persisted for three and a half years with Henderson as his club captain and Southgate with him as our starting midfielder if he wasn't a good player. He works harder than most players around, and it's not headless chicken stuff neither, it's planned/controlled pressing with a purpose and technique. He also has an eye for a pass - see the two chances he provided Sterling with the other day. I'm by no means saying Henderson is World Class but he's decent, i think he's better than Witsel and more effective than Pogba and everyone talks about how superior France and Belgium are to England.

I'm more than happy to be carried away with the waves of optimism that this young team have given.
What a summer, weathers amazing, and in 48 hours time, we will be 1 of 3 teams that can lift the World Cup..... I almost find it unbelievable as I write it.
The optimism, the happInes, the interest from people who mormally aren't bothered..... it's caught us all hook line and sinker......
Can we win Wednesday....most certainly....will we? I flippin hope so....

Pickford has had an amazing World Cup...last 2 games, astonishingly good
The back 3 are total units, and fast, and an obvious set piece threat....all 3 can bring the ball out too.
Wing backs...totally impressed with Trippier.. Young not as much, although his delivery in consistent.
Henderson covers so much ground, bit of an unsung hero....most teams need a player like that.
Alli, Lindgard, Sterling..... My biggest concern is Alli, totally hoping the goal he scored against Sweden will give his confidence a boost.
Lindgard has had a decently World Cup....opens defences up, great clip in for the 2nd v Sweden.
Sterling..... I've had many arguments about this lad I need the last week..... he is by far our most dangerous attacking threat.... defenders hate pople running at them with pace... he creates so much space....just hope he bags a goal to shut people up, his position shouldn't be in question.
Kane...not bad, I'd have him at Sunderland.

Keep it going boys..... it's a long time since I can remember the nation so buoyant .. talk about a feel good factor..... and I'm definitely not sick of the song...long may it play.......

Indeed

The country hasn’t felt this good since the 2012 Olympics

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.