World Cup 2018 | 14th June | Russia vs Saudi Arabia

MCFC1993

Right, I thought I'd kickstart the World Cup Matches threads, like I did 2 years ago for the Euro's.

WORLD CUP 2018 – 14TH JUNE

RUSSIA VS SAUDI ARABIA

Match kicks off at 16:00 (BST) on ITV. Coverage begins at 15:45 (BST) after the ceremony. Analysis from Gary Neville, Lee Dixon, Ian Wright & Slaven Bilic. Pitch side reports from Jacqui Oatley, Ryan Giggs, Eni Aluko and commentary from Clive Tyldesley and GHIAC.

70th (Russia) in the World Rankings vs 67th (Saudi Arabia). Not exactly game of the tournament to start us off but it’s the World Cup never-the-less.

Russia as hosts didn’t have to qualify but we did get a glimpse of how they’d get on last year at the Confederations Cup. I’m not expecting much better here either, although a weak-ish group does give them a chance of at least making the knockout stages. They will be looking for a better than in Brazil in 2014 where they failed to win a game.
If they are to do anything in this World Cup I’d expect Smolov to be their star player, scouts will also keep an eye on Golovin who has been linked to some big clubs this summer.
They have an old squad with not much pace, which begs the question why didn’t Shatov make it!

Saudi Arabia got through their qualification group in 2nd place behind Japan but ahead of Australia. They are finally back at the World Cup after 2 straight absences. They are probably favourites to finish bottom of the group but a lot will depend on this game. They haven’t won a World Cup match since USA 1994. Al-Sahlawi is their star striker averaging not far off a goal per game albeit against some shite oppostion. Most of their squad is based in Saudi Arabia.

Can't see there being more than a goal in this game.

Last edited:
Golovin looks a talent, and Cheryshev was a decent prospect a few years back when he came through at Real Madrid, but he's been hampered by injuries. Dzagoev hasn't really gone anywhere since his hattrick in the first game at Euro 2012. Kokorin could have made a difference, but he's injured, so a lot will depend on Smolov. Saudi aren't bad, but Pizzi hasn't had long to spend with the side, it was Van Marwijk who got them to the World Cup, but due to the merry go round that football can be, he's there anyway in charge of Australia, and Pizzi was in charge of Chile, failed to qualify with them, but has ended up here with Saudi.

I think Russia will edge it, 2-1.

Hawsawi is quality but if Saudi Arabia play a diamond with al Shehri and al Jassim running off him and Al Faraj in the hole then I can only see one winner.

This has boring, cagey proceedings for 92 minutes, with a dodgy last minute offside goal or penalty winner (which is, for no discernible reason, not reviewed by VAR) for Russia written all over it in Cyrillic.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.