World Cup 2018 | 3rd July | R16: Colombia vs England Match Thread, KO 19:00 (BST)

MCFC1993

Might as well get this up early, then any England-Colombia talk can go in here, if you still want to talk about the England-Belgium game then use that thread.

TUESDAY 3RD JULY

COLOMBIA VS ENGLAND

Match kicks off at 19:00 (BST) on ITV 1.
Coverage starts at 18:15 (BST). Presented by Mark Pougatch. Pundits yet to be announced, commentators are probably the usual 2 idiots.

Both teams finished on 6 points in this group but Colombia topped the group and England finished 2nd in theirs. Colombia come into this on the back of 2 consecutive teams and are starting to get going in this tournament. England come into this having lost their last group game to Belgium but it’s tough to judge them on that game due to the amount of changes made, it certainly wasn’t England’s first team. One thing is for sure; Southgate will be reverting back to the team he started this tournament with or at least a team very similar. If England get through this tie then they will be pleased to be on this side of the draw.

Both teams have injury concerns heading into this game, James Rodriguez limped off in Colombia’s 1-0 win over Senegal and John Stones came off at half time vs Belgium. Delph may be unavailable as he’s popping back to see his heavily pregnant wife after the Belgium game.

Colombia’s goal scorers so far:
Mina (2), Quintero (1), Falcao (1), Cuadrado (1).

England’s goal scorers so far:
Kane (5), Stones (2), Lingard (1).

Predicted England Line-up:

-------------------------Pickford---------------------------

----------Walker-------Stones-------Maguire----------

Trippier--------------Henderson----------------Young

-------------Lingard------------------Alli------------------

---------------Sterling-------------Kane-------------------

Stones if he’s fit, Young will probably still get the nod ahead of Rose. I’d play Rose if it were my choice. There is a possibility that he drops an attacking midfielder for a defensive one.

Agreed. Definitely should play Rose for Young and probably Loftus-Cheek for Alli.
Dier has ruled himself out as has Rashford. Too many unforced errors as well as the goal miss.

I'd go -

Pickford
Stones-Cahill-Maguire
Trippier-Henderson-Rose
Sterling-Alli-Lingaard
Kane

I'd go -

Pickford
Stones-Cahill-Maguire
Trippier-Henderson-Rose
Sterling-Alli-Lingaard
Kane
I'd go with that but swap maguire for our Kyle but think it'll be the team that started the first match, injuries allowing. It's all about the set pieces, can't see us doing a great deal from open play again. Maybe raheem will get some chances on the counter.

Tbh don't think James is that big a miss. He hasn't played a lot of football. We need to play with a tad more intensity and ensure we are up for the physicality of the game.

Any news on Stones injury though? If he's out it would be Walker, Cahill, Maguire?

There is a possibility that he drops an attacking midfielder for a defensive one.
Central midfield is certainly the weakest area but last night suggested there isn't much in the way of alternatives, Dier should be nowhere near the squad let alone the starting XI and though Delph is a willing worker he's a level or two below what's required. I can't see Lingard or Alli being left out unless they're injured.

On a side note I'm tired of seeing "easier route to the final" - I know it's a cliche but one game at a fucking time, please!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.