World Cup 2022 dates announced

I don't disagree, but how is it different to what happens in the UAE? Not sure how you can in good conscience support City, if you have such an issue with what happens in Qatar, because its the same (or depending on who you listen to, worse).

I'll hold my hands up and say I'd prefer it didn't happen but I can disassociate the two things. I think you have to. In the same way I do with my clothing, electrical items, all sorts.
The old “ignorance is bliss” argument. Got it.

Of course, I see parallels all over the world, but with football currently having its “kneel for racism” moment, I just wondered if England players will be doing it at a FIFA sanctioned event that was BUILT on slave labor...and not an inconsequential number of deaths.

Of course, the entire question and issue is rhetorical, because we all know the last World Cup and this one were, are, and will always remain the shining example of FIFA being as corrupt as fuck, and football (especially at the Continental and World levels) being about one thing and one thing only: COMMERCIAL REVENUES and the bungs that go along with them.

This is where we are.

The old “ignorance is bliss” argument. Got it.

Of course, I see parallels all over the world, but with football currently having its “kneel for racism” moment, I just wondered if England players will be doing it at a FIFA sanctioned event that was BUILT on slave labor...and not an inconsequential number of deaths.

Of course, the entire question and issue is rhetorical, because we all know the last World Cup and this one were, are, and will always remain the shining example of FIFA being as corrupt as fuck, and football (especially at the Continental and World levels) being about one thing and one thing only: COMMERCIAL REVENUES and the bungs that go along with them.

This is where we are.
Ignorance is a lack of knowledge or information. That isn't true of my viewpoint.

I note you didn't take time on your lecture to elaborate on my question on why its acceptable for you to support City given your indignation at what happens in Qatar.

Qatar going to join one of the qualifying groups and play friendlies to prepare for the finals!

Ignorance is a lack of knowledge or information. That isn't true of my viewpoint.

I note you didn't take time on your lecture to elaborate on my question on why its acceptable for you to support City given your indignation at what happens in Qatar.
I have supported City since the 60s. Am I thrilled an Emirati owns the club today, with their record of human rights? No.

Am I glad they appear not to be using it as a plaything and have used their wealth and power to help regenerate a significant, long depressed area of Manchester? Yes.

Am being hypocritical or am I not making the perfect the enemy of the good? I’ll let you decide.

We live in a complicated world, where white and black rarely exist. The older I get, the more I realize just how corrupt the world is and that “playing by the rules” increasingly feels like it’s for suckers. I know I feel like a sucker when I see crooks get ahead without being called to account, but it’ll never make me a crook.

So, will the world marvel at the soccer stadiums in Qatar? Probably!

Will they give a second thought to the price that was paid to create them? Probably not.

I will. City fan or not.

I have supported City since the 60s. Am I thrilled an Emirati owns the club today, with their record of human rights? No.

Am I glad they appear not to be using it as a plaything and have used their wealth and power to help regenerate a significant, long depressed area of Manchester? Yes.

Am being hypocritical or am I not making the perfect the enemy of the good? I’ll let you decide.

We live in a complicated world, where white and black rarely exist. The older I get, the more I realize just how corrupt the world is and that “playing by the rules” increasingly feels like it’s for suckers. I know I feel like a sucker when I see crooks get ahead without being called to account, but it’ll never make me a crook.

So, will the world marvel at the soccer stadiums in Qatar? Probably!

Will they give a second thought to the price that was paid to create them? Probably not.

I will. City fan or not.
Exactly. You're a hypocrite.

You can't sit on your high horse about peoples enjoyment of a World Cup because its being played in stadiums built by workers in awful conditions, and at the same time support a team owned by a regime that employs the same principles. We've played friendlies in stadia, stayed in hotels, gone to restaurants, all built under those specific conditions so our club is very much complicit.

Sounds to me as though you're able to disassociate the two things so it doesn't stop your enjoyment watching the club you've always supported. Kind of similar to how I'll be able to enjoy the World Cup. Don't think it makes either of us a bad person.

Last edited:
I’d forgotten how much I hate the idea of this World Cup.

Like COVID, it’s going to ruin another Premier League season.

I wish that Prem clubs only allowed youth players to go on international duty for this tournament, make a mockery of it, and allow us to continue with a proper Prem schedule.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.