World Cup expanded to 48 teams.

I've grown to hate international football. I can see the players wanting to mix it up from club football and the excuse for fans to be nationalists for a few days....but it eats up way too much time.

IMO players owe nothing to their country. The idea that they should put their country first is a grand delusion to satisfy everyone else. I'd love to see some player come out and say "no thanks" or "yes but on my terms".

It will make the group phase a complete waste of time. 16 groups a 3 teams, of which 2 will qualify for the KO rounds. You can expect each of the 16 groups to include a small team with no chance of progressing. They are killing the cash cow by trying to milk it too hard, if you ask me.

It will make the group phase a complete waste of time. 16 groups a 3 teams, of which 2 will qualify for the KO rounds. You can expect each of the 16 groups to include a small team with no chance of progressing. They are killing the cash cow by trying to milk it too hard, if you ask me.

I wonder if the one team that will shirley be getting sent home will have to pay for the privilege?

The change to 48 teams will be brought in for the 2026 tournament which is expected to be held in Brunei which despite having one of the richest men on the planet has no football pitches and a population of 7.
"Growing the game in Brunei is of great importance to FIFA" Fantino said.

Last edited:
Absolute joke. Not sure what's the biggest joke, making 48 teams, having groups of 3 where the top 2 go through, or the breakdown of new teams that will be added (essentially a bunch of terrible asian and central american teams). If they added a few more european teams, a few more from Africa and maybe one or two from South America (although almost everyone qualifies anyway) then you could make an argument of it being just to make sure all the best teams are there, but this is just intentionally adding filler teams to waste time on pointless games. Just shit on every level

Bit silly that we're going to have between 17-18 teams from Asia and Africa but only 6 from South America.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.