Worried about the EDS

Discussion in 'EDS and Academy Forum' started by Cityfan1977, 22 Oct 2019.

1. twosips

twosips

Someone I know said that Atalanta have arguably the best academy in Italy to be fair, but still...week in week out.

2. domalino

domalino

I've heard that said by Horncastle/Marcotti as well. Half the Milan sides seem to be former Atalanta academy products.

Only 1 in the current Italy squad though, and that's the 3rd/4th choice keeper.

3. domalino

domalino

4. Deepest Blue

Deepest Blue

Atalanta seem to be brushing most domestic opponents aside but only had 1 point from 2 games in UYL before today.
    Our problems seem to run deeper than today’s poor result though.

5. bluwes

bluwes

WTF happened there. Surely we didn't claim a goal

6. Cobra

Cobra

Genuine question, in the last 10 years how many players have come through our academy and gone on to play regular football at a decent level? Not including players who were only here for a couple of years like Sancho and Matondo.

7. Gaudion M

Gaudion M

I've said this before but we increasingly look like the set up is built around finding players and then getting them out on loan before they hit 19/20. The PL2 is an under 23 competition and other clubs keep a team together up to around that age group to compete - the rags have loads of 22 / 23 year old players you have never heard of. We, rightly or wrongly, seem to think that is a waste of time and money and we look for players under 18 who might be worldies - bring them in for a year or two then look to loan them out into senior football (a lot a Girona and other linked clubs). This means we have much more churn in the youth set up and we seem to be moving them on from age 19/20 onwards. Denayer a classic example where he spent how many years out on loan and not in our youth set up.

8. Clercqs

Clercqs

I'd say Dilrosun has done very well but has been unfortunate with injuries. Completely agree otherwise.

9. BlueindianNewcity

BlueindianNewcity

Gunn
    Trippier
    Denayer
    Maffeo
    Angelino
    Rony Lopes
    Seko Fofana

10. Cobra

Cobra

Trippier is nearly 30, and Denayer and Fofana only really spent a year in our academy before going out on loan. It’s not a great return really is it?

domalino and mexico1970 like this.