Worst ever away season

lancs blue said:
DontLookBackInAnger said:
lancs blue said:
You're not old enough! 86/87 - relegation season from the top flight we didn't win a single away match in the league.
And if I recall rightly the 1st season up after that(we went down that year)we took until April to win our 1st game away from home. Therefore, the run was something like from Jan one season then a full season without a win and then almost a full 3rd season.

Just checked it out on MCFC Stats, it was part of our worst ever away run - 34 league games without a win, 14 draws and 20 defeats:

Started: Tues Feb 11th 1986 with a 4-0 defeat at Everton

Finished: Wed, Oct 21st 1987 when we won 4-2 at Bradford City - cracking match that was, Bradford were top of Div 2 at the time.

I was at the Bradford game and your right it was one of the best games I ever attended, we threw a 2 goal lead away before scoring twice in the last 10mins, but I was talking about top flight so it was 85/86(I think the last win that year was away to Spurs), 86/87 as you say we didn't win at all and then 89/90 our first year up it was April 1st(i think we beat Aston Villa 2-1, another great game Villa where top I believe that day too).

lancs blue said:
lancs blue said:
You're not old enough! 86/87 - relegation season from the top flight we didn't win a single away match in the league.
And if I recall rightly the 1st season up after that(we went down that year)we took until April to win our 1st game away from home. Therefore, the run was something like from Jan one season then a full season without a win and then almost a full 3rd season.

Just checked it out on MCFC Stats, it was part of our worst ever away run - 34 league games without a win, 14 draws and 20 defeats:

Started: Tues Feb 11th 1986 with a 4-0 defeat at Everton

Finished: Wed, Oct 21st 1987 when we won 4-2 at Bradford City - cracking match that was, Bradford were top of Div 2 at the time.

I was at the Bradford game and your right it was one of the best games I ever attended, we threw a 2 goal lead away before scoring twice in the last 10mins, but I was talking about top flight so it was 85/86(I think the last win that year was away to Spurs), 86/87 as you say we didn't win at all and then 89/90 our first year up it was April 1st(i think we beat Aston Villa 2-1, another great game Villa where top I believe that day too).

Right I see what you mean. Yes that Villa win was the first away win that season, it was televised live IIRC - the Strangeways rooftop riot was going on at the time and there were some chants from the City fans referring to it. Peter Reid scored the winner late on.

I remember the 75-76 season we only won about 2 away games in the league, but we would win our home games 3-0 or 4-0. we finished 8th. The following season our away form improved and we were pipped to the title by the scousers by 1 point.

I was at the Bradford game and your right it was one of the best games I ever attended, we threw a 2 goal lead away before scoring twice in the last 10mins, but I was talking about top flight so it was 85/86(I think the last win that year was away to Spurs), 86/87 as you say we didn't win at all and then 89/90 our first year up it was April 1st(i think we beat Aston Villa 2-1, another great game Villa where top I believe that day too)

Yep that Villa game was live on Sunday ITV as well - we had a great following considering, a great away day.

When we beat Bradford in the 86/87 we'd broken the away run a couple of weeks before at Wolves in the league cup - Gidman scored. Not many City there that night.
That run of 35 or so games away without winning was truly dire, I saw approx 30 of them and it was a miserable sequence - my personal low was Mcnab missing a late pen at Shrewsbury to end the run and he fucked it up

fallowfield said:
I was at the Bradford game and your right it was one of the best games I ever attended, we threw a 2 goal lead away before scoring twice in the last 10mins, but I was talking about top flight so it was 85/86(I think the last win that year was away to Spurs), 86/87 as you say we didn't win at all and then 89/90 our first year up it was April 1st(i think we beat Aston Villa 2-1, another great game Villa where top I believe that day too)

Yep that Villa game was live on Sunday ITV as well - we had a great following considering, a great away day.

When we beat Bradford in the 86/87 we'd broken the away run a couple of weeks before at Wolves in the league cup - Gidman scored. Not many City there that night.
That run of 35 or so games away without winning was truly dire, I saw approx 30 of them and it was a miserable sequence - my personal low was Mcnab missing a late pen at Shrewsbury to end the run and he fucked it up

The funny thing was I happened to be thinking about that very game, it was a couple of weeks before, if a recall, and it was just about the last kick of the game.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.