Worst guitar solo.

Apparently it's well known in the industry that Neil doesn't play the solos on the records.
And Neil doesn't hide the fact.
Interesting .. hadn’t heard that tbh. Seen him live 4 or 5 times now and his style of playing is so distinctive if he didn’t play them back in the late 60s he’s learnt to play that way pretty well!

Interesting .. hadn’t heard that tbh. Seen him live 4 or 5 times now and his style of playing is so distinctive if he didn’t play them back in the late 60s he’s learnt to play that way pretty well!
I think Nils Lofgren played lead guitar on Like A Hurricane.
If you listen it's way too smooth for Neil.
It's Neil playing on the one note solo on Down by the River but Danny Whitton on the 2nd solo, you can hear the difference in the two, a lot of space between notes and undisciplined timing with Neils.

I've seen him live twice and although I love his acoustic playing I'm not a fan of his electric playing, too many bum notes bad timing and a reliance on distortion and feedback.

Last edited:
Always hated the guitar solo in Don’t Fear The Reaper. Way below the riffs and other fills in the song, which I absolutely love. I know it’s supposed to sound ‘spooky’ but it just grates.

A solo should serve the song, not the musician. Anything else is musical masturbation. Self indulgent bollocks.
The very best guitarists are 100% humble and don’t feel the need to brag about or show off how good they are.
The old soul and blues guys would piss all over the prog and poodle rockers. They just didn’t feel the need to

A solo should serve the song, not the musician. Anything else is musical masturbation. Self indulgent bollocks.
The very best guitarists are 100% humble and don’t feel the need to brag about or show off how good they are.
The old soul and blues guys would piss all over the prog and poodle rockers. They just didn’t feel the need to
Yeh I'm not really a 'have you heard that solo?' kind of guy.

It either enhances the song or bin it off..........

Guitar solos are often self-indulgent tripe. Drum solos are worse. Bass solos even worse. Yet somehow I still love Rush. Explain.

I suppose there’s a place for them if the artist is really, REALLY good. Personally the only guitar soloist I truly love is from a band I hate — Joe Walsh of the Eagles. And maybe Eddie Van Halen depending on the song.
There are always exceptions to the rule.

I don't like Guns & Roses, but I quite like November Rain (with its completely over the top production and music video).

It kind of goes so far away from what I like that it kind of comes full circle into something that I like (if that makes any sense?).

We are all hypocrites when it suits.................

as someone who noodles with a bit of classical/spanish guitar..i have just spent all week naiing down the solo in Come up and see me ( make me smile)....i now hate that fker and nominate it here.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.