Would Stoke really let us beat them?

I suspect that Stoke will try much harder to win the cup , than they will to try to win the league game!

Bluemoon115 said:
Robinho's Subbuteo said:
Exactly my point. If Stoke lose the FA Cup and by beating us in the league we're denied 4th spot, what have Stoke gained? Zilch. What have they lost? Potentially A LOT of money.

At this stage, lose to us in the league in the same scenario and that would probably guarantee us CL, if it's not already by then, and guarantee them Europe. The secret is making it look plausible.

If we win the Cup and have already secured 4th, Pulis can then afford to try and exact his revenge for '99.

-- Mon May 02, 2011 11:13 am --

So you think if the choice was ...

Beat City, get three points and finish 8th(ish) v lose to City, get into Europe and finish 8th(ish)

... you seriously think they would put pride and a meaningless result (to Stoke) before the guaranteed money for the club and the guaranteed excitement for the players and fans of playing in Europe for the first time in 37 YEARS!?
Winning the EL gets you roughly €6.06m. http://bundesliga.theoffside.com/in...y-game-champions-league-vs-europa-league.html

Hardly a "lot" of money. A decent domestic cup run will get you similar. Plus any extra places in the league results in an extra £800k. And with it being so tight, 3 points could easily be the difference of upto £3.2m.

Marketing money?

I know its not a patch on Chumps league, but surely worth a few million?

Maybe, seeing as Twitcher brought this up initially we should start asking a different question.

Anybody think Spurs will throw it against Blackpool and Liverpool to avoid the Europa League?

I'm pretty sure that we will have qualified for the Champions League prior to the Stoke league game, so hopefully this scenario won't happen. And I'm sure that the Stoke fans will look forwrd to us parading the FA cup around the stadium in front of them!!!

The Europa League is a double-edged sword, I'm so glad we won't be playing in it next season! Far too many shite teams and far too many games that can't help but affect your league form with even the biggest of squads.

ifiwasarichfan said:
Maybe, seeing as Twitcher brought this up initially we should start asking a different question.

Anybody think Spurs will throw it against Blackpool and Liverpool to avoid the Europa League?

Now there's a thought.

Will we accept it if we win the final fair and square or will we be typical city fans and say the win was tainted?

St Ives blue said:
I'm pretty sure that we will have qualified for the Champions League prior to the Stoke league game, so hopefully this scenario won't happen. And I'm sure that the Stoke fans will look forwrd to us parading the FA cup around the stadium in front of them!!!

The Europa League is a double-edged sword, I'm so glad we won't be playing in it next season! Far too many shite teams and far too many games that can't help but affect your league form with even the biggest of squads.

Funny how Porto have absolutely run away with their league and are all but in the final.

it won't matter
a) we'll have a top 4 place wrapped up by them

and

b) we'd beat them anyway even if they weren't throwing it

Considering the league is so tight between 7th and the bottom, It would be in Stokes financial interests to try and get the three points. The prize money for finishing as high as seventh ( ithink they are about 11th at the mo) in the premier league is just about worth more than playing in the europa league.

From the fans perpective, It does mean watchin your team less cos your not in europe which is not good.(Even though their football is more boring to watch than ours ! )

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.