Would you like a big house ?

It's a little bit funny this feeling inside, I'm not one of those who can easily hide, I don't have much money but boy if I did …………..

I'd buy a big house where we both could live.

(me and @bluegirl74 giggle)

When I retired we upsized from a reasonable sized terrace in Norwich to a 2,500 square feet detached house converted old pub (built 1900) in Halifax. The garden is only a 1/4 of an acre so no problem there, great views etc, but my god! The problems we had, new roof, damp, dodgy brickwork, 1970's décor, carpets, took two years to get it all sorted and no end of expense, but despite really only using one bedroom, one room, the bathrooms and kitchen on a regular basis, we love the space of it all, plus the high ceiling, being an old pub, gives the place a real sense of character.

It was a bonkers buy but we love it, but the one thing that recommends it above all else is it's detached, really detached, you could play heavy metal top volume all night and only disturb the sheep and cows, not that I do of course, those days are long gone :-(
The only thing bonkers about your post is that you moved to Halifax willingly.

Or are you happier in a small house.
3 years ago I lived in a 4000 square foot house on 2 acres of land.
At first I loved it all that space, huge shed, lots of grass trees etcetera.
But then after a couple of years I began to get fed up with it, constantly mowing, weeding grass, trees falling over, gutters full of leaves, cleaning the house was huge, rooms that you only walked past and never used, it all seemed so silly and the cost of it was quite big I had a $5,000 ride on mower, I had all kinds of equipments and we had tons of furniture, ornaments, books and shit to fill the house.
My weekends were devoted to house and yard work.
So after living there for 5 years we sold up had a huge garage sale, and donated loads of stuff to the Salvation army, and downsized to an apartment where we live now.
The apartments isn't big and has 2 bedrooms and to tell you the truth I've never been happier, 90% of our possessions have gone and we just have the things that we actually need.
Sometimes I drive past big homes on acreage and think 'yeah that looks nice but in reality I wouldn't want to live there'.
Exactly what me and the mrs were talking about last week mate ,we live in a big house now and there is only me and her in it after the kids have gone their own ways it is a big upkeep and and are going to look for something a lot smaller

Don't get what people see in a massive house regardless of how wealthy they are, less is more for me..

I once got a presidential suite in a hotel in Thailand, it was massive, me and Mrs Death lived happily in less than a quarter of the space we had, same would happen if we had a massive house ...!

Or are you happier in a small house.
3 years ago I lived in a 4000 square foot house on 2 acres of land.
At first I loved it all that space, huge shed, lots of grass trees etcetera.
But then after a couple of years I began to get fed up with it, constantly mowing, weeding grass, trees falling over, gutters full of leaves, cleaning the house was huge, rooms that you only walked past and never used, it all seemed so silly and the cost of it was quite big I had a $5,000 ride on mower, I had all kinds of equipments and we had tons of furniture, ornaments, books and shit to fill the house.
My weekends were devoted to house and yard work.
So after living there for 5 years we sold up had a huge garage sale, and donated loads of stuff to the Salvation army, and downsized to an apartment where we live now.
The apartments isn't big and has 2 bedrooms and to tell you the truth I've never been happier, 90% of our possessions have gone and we just have the things that we actually need.
Sometimes I drive past big homes on acreage and think 'yeah that looks nice but in reality I wouldn't want to live there'.

Ha, I could write a thesis on this as it has been a source of many an argument between me and the Mrs. Our metrics are fairly similar to yours but with a smaller garden by the sounds of things. One thing I always say to my boys is when they’re older don’t make the same mistake as I did and just go for a very low maintenance apartment without all the grief.

Will be gutted to leave here one day because it holds a lot of good memories as well for us as it’s 15 years now and we initially rented it out so it worked really well on that level but look forward to the day I don’t have to see another bloody lawnmower, strimmer, hedge cutter, paint pot, broken sprinklers, broken pool pump and my boring Neighbour again...apart from that all good.

Always dreamed of a big house to live in. Managed to aquire one in 1999. Four beds, decent sized rooms all round, ditto gardens. But likewise, the upkeep, cleaning, decorating, maintenance just seems never ending. There are rooms we never use, and the garden is a pain.

Looking forward to downsizing soon, and the only thing I will miss will be that it's detached and not having neighbours to worry about noise wise (from us as much as them, lol)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.