Would you turn down a knighthood?

Swales lives

I know it'a over still I cling, I don't know where
On the back of Danny Boyle turning down a knighthood, saying he believed his contribution was no more important than any of the other volunteers.

Great gesture, not one to bask in glory and take all the plaudits. It's nice to see a famous figure being humble and not wish to be called "Sir" off the brown-nosers for eternity.

I couldn't accept one, I feel uncomfortable being called "mister", let alone "sir".

I work in a school so I'm used to be called Sir or Mister. I'll let you know if I get the letter from her Maj.

Pigeonho said:
I'd turn it down, politely of course.
Not got any time at all for the monarchy, so to accept an honour from them would go against that. On that basis I would say thanks but no thanks.

The peerage system is all about the powerful who run the country staying in charge. Not that I know any Knights but if ever meet one I will never call them 'Sir'.

Swales lives said:
On the back of Danny Boyle turning down a knighthood, saying he believed his contribution was no more important than any of the other volunteers.

Great gesture, not one to bask in glory and take all the plaudits. It's nice to see a famous figure being humble and not wish to be called "Sir" off the brown-nosers for eternity.

I couldn't accept one, I feel uncomfortable being called "mister", let alone "sir".

Yer could insist that HM taps yer on the shoulder and says 'Arise, Sir ****!' Then the world would still be in flunter!

I always think the whole honours system is devalued when yer see some of the shysters who get them - Sir Booby fuckin Charlton, Sir Bully BaconFace, and just wait till Sir Wolfman of Leytonstone and Sir Sister-in-law Shagger of Worsley are on the red carpet. What I can't understand is how Mike Phelan is still just plain Mr. Shithouse!

Dave Ewing's Back 'eader said:
Swales lives said:

Yer could insist that HM taps yer on the shoulder and says 'Arise, Sir ****!' Then the world would still be in flunter!

I always think the whole honours system is devalued when yer see some of the shysters who get them - Sir Booby fuckin Charlton, Sir Bully BaconFace, and just wait till Sir Wolfman of Leytonstone and Sir Sister-in-law Shagger of Worsley are on the red carpet. What I can't understand is how Mike Phelan is still just plain Mr. Shithouse!

Agreed on the devaluing...that Robertson got one for ordering planes to go bomb Serbia...how is that worthy of a cunting knighthood? Anybody in public office should be banned from getting one...should be for ordinary folk who do stuff not for the publicity but because they want to and don't have the benefit of fame or fortune.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.