WSL Brighton 1 Manchester City 4 17/03/24 Match Thread:

The points mattered more than the goals really, but it was City all game really for me, often sloppy in possession, players switching off at key moments, so very disappointing to concede that goal.

Hasegawa should have got player of the match for me, thought Park had a decent game, and Hemp was our main threat. I thought Shaw was quite poor, good finish aside, Greenwood couldn't find a City player in the first half. Good minutes at the end for a few more fringe players, but it cost us the goal, with neither Morgan or Kelly doing enough.

The points mattered more than the goals really, but it was City all game really for me, often sloppy in possession, players switching off at key moments, so very disappointing to concede that goal.

Hasegawa should have got player of the match for me, thought Park had a decent game, and Hemp was our main threat. I thought Shaw was quite poor, good finish aside, Greenwood couldn't find a City player in the first half. Good minutes at the end for a few more fringe players, but it cost us the goal, with neither Morgan or Kelly doing enough.
Good summary that, difficult to argue with any of it. Frustrating that we conceded but the points were all important.

We could have closed the GD gap completely this afternoon, unfortunately Chloe was sleeping in the end (hopefully she will leave this behind and return stronger). Having said that, people focusing just on some individual mistakes during injury time are literally clueless -not to mention miserable...

The big picture is that the team responded almost perfectly following a couple of shocking disappointments -which was hardly a given (it never is in football). The even bigger picture is that the girls have gone a long long way, the team has seriously grown -which is beautiful to watch. As far as I am concerned, the progress of specific ideas within a team is one of the most fascinating things a fan can witness in football. When such a reality occurs in front of your eyes, perhaps then (I repeat, perhaps) you can approach a situation in terms of a project -which is a very demanding word...

I do not mean to be disrespectful towards rivals, so I will try to express a couple of thoughts as accurately as possible. It is fair to say that City, as a club, promotes the technical (instead of the physical) aspect of the game, I will put it this way. It obviously starts with the first team, still all other entities within the club, the EDS, the women team, they all follow with a remarkable consistency. Which is a rather bold strategic decision taking into account the environment the club operates in, if you understand what I mean. I would expect everyone agreeing with the above mentioned fact, furthermore I would expect people in England appreciating such a strategy, exactly because of the quality it guarantees on the pitch...

What I am trying to say is the following: If in the third goal the team exploits Bunny's obvious strengths (still Yui needs to be absolutely precise with her cross), the first, and particularly the second and the fourth goal, all reflect awesome team work, not to mention incredible team chemistry. And they all materialize following the execution of tactical patterns the team is well familiar with. Exactly because the team has seriously grown, as I wrote above. Whoever you support, If you cannot appreciate, I mean If you cannot aesthetically enjoy the plays leading to those goals, not sure if you can call yourself a football fan...

Congratulations to the manager, the staff, all the girls. And good luck wholeheartedly. The quality in their game is there for everyone to watch -and they are mentally stronger than they used to be. Continue with confidence, continue with the same composure and determination, and everything is possible. You deserve being where you are, finish the job and win it. Good luck!

Last edited:
We could have closed the GD gap completely this afternoon, unfortunately Chloe was sleeping in the end (hopefully she will leave this behind and return stronger). Having said that, people focusing just on some individual mistakes during injury time are literally clueless -not to mention miserable...

The big picture is that the team responded almost perfectly following a couple of shocking disappointments -which was hardly a given (it never is in football). The even bigger picture is that the girls have gone a long long way, the team has seriously grown -which is beautiful to watch. As far as I am concerned, the progress of specific ideas within a team is one of the most fascinating things a fan can witness in football. When such a reality occurs in front of your eyes, perhaps then (I repeat, perhaps) you can approach a situation in terms of a project -which is a very demanding word...

I do not mean to be disrespectful towards rivals, so I will try to express a couple of thoughts as accurately as possible. It is fair to say that City, as a club, promotes the technical (instead of the physical) aspect of the game, I will put it this way. It obviously starts with the first team, still all other entities within the club, the EDS, the women team, they all follow with a remarkable consistency. Which is a rather bold strategic decision taking into account the environment the club operates in, if you understand what I mean. I would expect everyone agreeing with the above mentioned fact, furthermore I would expect people in England appreciating such a strategy, exactly because of the quality it guarantees on the pitch...

What I am trying to say is the following: If in the third goal the team exploits Bunny's obvious strengths (still Yui needs to be absolutely precise with her cross), the first, and particularly the second and the third goal, all reflect awesome team work, not to mention incredible team chemistry. And they all materialize following the execution of tactical patterns the team is well familiar with. Exactly because the team has seriously grown, as I wrote above. Whoever you support, If you cannot appreciate, I mean If you cannot aesthetically enjoy the plays leading to those goals, not sure if you can call yourself a football fan...

Congratulations to the manager, the staff, all the girls. And good luck wholeheartedly. The quality in their game is there for everyone to watch -and they are mentally stronger than they used to be. Continue with confidence, continue with the same composure and determination, and everything is possible. You deserve being where you are, finish the job and win it. Good luck!
Perfectly said

Chuffed for Fowler there. I’ve been wanting her in ahead of Kelly for a while now, but this co comms had been going on about us missing Kelly the whole half.

Yes, I watched this match and thought Fowler offered better controlled structure to the play and less obvious passing, like slide rules and reverse passing.

In fact, I'm sure there was a play later on where Fowler made a pass inwards and on a similar play Kelly went for a shot. One seems to think about the team opportunity more than self glory.

I'd like her to get the nod for a bit whilst Kelly looks distracted.

Yes, I watched this match and thought Fowler offered better controlled structure to the play and less obvious passing, like slide rules and reverse passing.

In fact, I'm sure there was a play later on where Fowler made a pass inwards and on a similar play Kelly went for a shot. One seems to think about the team opportunity more than self glory.

I'd like her to get the nod for a bit whilst Kelly looks distracted.
Fully agreed bud

Not sure how many games are left, but it's in our hands and is only down to how many we can score in a game.

Let's hope this is understood where the formation, and personnel, is made with the manager.
6 games left. We have a tough run in with ragettes up next (H) followed by Liverpool (A) and ending up with Arsenal (H) and Villa (A) as last game.

Remaining fixtures

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.