WW2 movies

allblackcitizen

Best/favourite (and why) - The Thin Red Line - beautiful and meditative
Worst? - Anzio - totally incoherent

Faves : Where Eagles Dare, Great Escape, Saving Private Ryan, Full Metal Jacket, When The Wind Blows ( Fictional Nuclear War ), The Desert Fox, The Dam Busters, Battle Of Britain, Downfall, The Killing Fields, The Pianist, Schindlers List, The Longest Day

Worst : Windtalkers, Pearl Harbor, Battle Of The Bulge ( loaded with errors )

Last edited:
Faves : Where Eagles Dare, Great Escape, Saving Private Ryan, Full Metal Jacket, When The Wind Blows ( Fictional Nuclear War ), The Desert Fox, The Dam Busters, Battle Of Britain, Downfall, The Killing Fields, The Pianist, Schindlers List, The Longest Day

Liked all of those except When the Wind Blows (haven't seen it). They're not al WW2 films though.

I'd also add Guns of Navaronne and Tora, Tora, Tora.

Thin red line (though if it could have been edited by a half hour and lost some dreadful voice overs and lousy cameos it may have been best ever)

Private Ryan (the first 20 mins was revolutionary filmmaking, but the plot towards end was a little cliche)

Not sure if it really counts but Casablanca

Schindlers List is one of the few movies that I was in awe of but have only ever been able to watch once

Older vintage (in addition to Casablanca): tora tora tora, longest day, bridge/Kwai and Patton all really hold up

That German movie downfall about hitlers last days was really amazing

Actually thought Valkyrie with Tom Cruise was well done

In terms of worst Pearl Harbor had some cool scenes but was a bizarre melodrama that also, I think, paradoxically launched Alec Baldwin’s comedic acting career. I really wonder if he was actively subverting the movie to prove his un-self-aware-leader routine. Otherwise his performance in that movie is inexplicable.

Come and See - I think it comes about as close as i can imagine to what war would be like. It meets the first 20mins of Saving Private Ryan and raises it some.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.