Wycombe (H) - EFL Cup R3 - Tue 21 Sep 19:45 | Pre-Match Thread

Match Result Prediction

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The annual carabao Cup selection hype:

Fans think the first team players need a break, and are excited to see youth players get a chance against weaker opposition, etc.

In practice what happens is that the club wants to win everything, first team squad players who haven't played / are recovering from injury need game time, some aspects of the first team's game need fine tuning (build up, this time) before next big game, fixture clash with EDS...

So Pep picks a first team squad, perhaps one youth player in the starting line up (Palmer?), we struggle to find our rhythm, but win 2 or 3 nil. Delap comes on in the 78th minute. We all moan about youth not getting a chance and second string squad players not being good enough. Repeat and repeat next cup fixture / season.

But then we eventually win the cup in front of a below capacity crowd at Wembley and so we're all spoiled by the success and it was much better when we were struggling under Stuart Pearce.

Personally, I would like to see: Lavia, McAtee, Delap and Palmer all start. But then I'm not Pep and can't win at football manager without cheating.
I with your on the latter part, just want to win it again, another red scouse record then broken.

Did anyone else get a text saying get your ticket man city v Wycombe on WEDNESDAY 21st. Had to double check the fixtures. The words piss up and brewery spring to mind.

It should be a big test for a few of our young lads, with the likes of Akifenwa still knocking around. They have started their season quite well and will definitely give it a go tonight.

Hopefully we’ll have the right mix of youth and experience. I hope Steffan can play. I’d expect to see Ake, Torres, Foden & Mahrez all start, maybe Bernardo, Walker and Sterling will also feature. I’m guessing that Mbete, Palmer, Lavia & Wilson-Esbrand will start, with McAtee, Delap and Edozie in the squad.

I think Ake, Foden, Sterling, Mahrez and Torres will all play tonight. One of Walker or Cancelo will probably start too, which isn't really ideal but needs must.

I think I prefer this too tbh. What can you learn from all the EDS playing together? Just becomes an EDS match then doesn't it? Would quite like to see how some of them link up with first team players.

It should be a big test for a few of our young lads, with the likes of Akifenwa still knocking around. They have started their season quite well and will definitely give it a go tonight.

Hopefully we’ll have the right mix of youth and experience. I hope Steffan can play. I’d expect to see Ake, Torres, Foden & Mahrez all start, maybe Bernardo, Walker and Sterling will also feature. I’m guessing that Mbete, Palmer, Lavia & Wilson-Esbrand will start, with McAtee, Delap and Edozie in the squad.
Callum Doyle (who's only 17) had an excellent game against him playing for Sunderland not long back, whatever team we put out, we'll be fine.

Just looking at our injured players list! What the Fook do we keep doing to have so many injured or just coming back from injury. Every season

I would play Saturdays team if my choice & get the game over before changing it. They all have a lot to do from Saturdays game.

I think Mbete and Wilson-Esbrand will start due to injuries to Stones, Laporte and Zinchenko with Dias and Cancelo needing a rest ahead of the tough upcoming fixtures.

With the injuries to Rodri and Gundogan, playing Ferna would be a big risk so Romeo Lavia could start too but I think that'll be it.

Walker and Aké will start to guide Mbete and Wilson-Esbrand through the game.

De Bruyne and Foden need the minutes which means any involvement from Palmer and McAtee will probably be from the bench.

Mahrez and Sterling haven't been starting many games so I think they'll both start which means Edozie will be on the bench if he's in the squad.

Delap has only just come back from injury so he'll probably only be a sub with Torres or Jesus starting up front.

My starting XI prediction:

----------------------Steffen
Walker-----Mbete-----Aké-----Esbrand
------------------------Lavia
------------------KDB-----Foden
Mahrez-----------Torres----------Sterling

Hopefully Palmer, McAtee and Delap all get significant minutes in the second half.

I'm sure we'd all love to see all of them starting but Pep's priority is the first team which means first and foremost he has to consider the fitness of first teamers and has to try and maintain harmony within the squad. Also there's not much point in chucking them all in, this way we get to see how they cope in a first team environment which is surely the whole point.

Really hope a few of the youth truly get a run out here. I think the fanbase could use some positivity from seeing McAtee or Lavia play a bunch and even if they were to flop I doubt too many would be all that upset given the week in front of us. You always want to win everything in offer but this is the right moment to mix in some of the kids and anyone who needs minutes. If we lose, so be it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.