Yaya dropping into back three

blueyorkie

In my mind we played a modified back three on Wednesday and its been similar in the last couple of games. Yaya sits deep creating a back three with the fullbacks tucking into the wide midfield positions. With that in mind why don't we try to fit Fern and Delph into the fullback/wider midfield roles? seems to make sense to me. Fernandinho did this in February last year and performed really well. Thoughts?

Honestly I just came to say it's nice seeing Yaya back in the team. Love Yaya. Man is a City legend. Can be a useful player still if used properly by Pep.
That's the point I'm making, Yaya is being re-invented into a deeper role where he drops into the central defensive position when we are defending and springs forward in a libero role when attacking, the inverted full backs position make me think that Ferna and Delph might be well suited to playing that role

Honestly I just came to say it's nice seeing Yaya back in the team. Love Yaya. Man is a City legend. Can be a useful player still if used properly by Pep.

Yaya is a very useful member of the squad so long as he isn't under the influence of that utter twat Seluk , and that surely has been the problem in the past couple of years.

Did we play a modified back three? I don't remember us setting up like this if I'm honest, certainly not to the extent we played like that in one of the first games at home at the start of the season.

For me yaya was playing more of a deep playmaker role, similar to how pirlo played. He wasn't dropping into central defence like dinho has done at times.

Switches from 4 to 3.
Have the ball, Yaya sits in a deeper central role, like a centre back, full backs advance to midfield/wing area.
Don't have the ball, full backs sit back, Yaya looking to get the ball / protect the centre backs.
Dippers played similar style using Souness back in the day.
Play a second defensive-support centre mid like Fern or Delph when expect to have less of the ball against decent team, but attack-minded Sane, Sterling, Silva, KDB midfield against lesser team.

According the font of all knowledge, with his vast management experience, Pat Nevin says we will get hammered by 'better teams than Wet Spam' if we play Yaya as DM...

He was at left back a couple of time on Wednesday, Kolarov had stepped into central midfield and silva was right back as Sagna had done the same. The whole team are beginning to look extremely fluid in their movement, it's great to watch and must take a lot of practice on the training field.
Think we'll still come unstuck occasionally but will be very pleasing on the eye the majority of the time. Could see Fernandinho playing right back but not Delph left as he's not technically or tactically good enough, Pep must have been going crazy when he tried that 40 yarder out to Sagna late on Wednesday when he had much easier and better options within 5 yards.

I'm saying that imho we will play a modified version of the revie plan now everyones fit. After all after we nicked the formation of the hungarians, cruyff nicked it off them too and then taught it pep, in fact pep coming here was natural as we played his style in the 50's

this point was made pretty much the 1st game ya ya came back, he is blatantly being used a central defensive cover this season. but good to make it again OP :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.