Yaya Toure - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't believe there has to be a set formula of who plays which position. Pick it to suit the opposition on the day. If that means playing both Yaya & Gundogan & leaving out Silva or leaving out Gundogan or leaving out Yaya, do it. Just make sure the team is balanced.

Personally I would pick Yaya ahead of Gundogan in almost any position, but that's upto Pep.

So you agree that we can't have Yaya starting every game with our current lineup, and having a defensive midfielder who is much better in possession than Fernandinho would be an upgrade if we're playing Silva and KDB ahead of 1 defensive mid?

So you agree that we can't have Yaya starting every game with our current lineup, and having a defensive midfielder who is much better in possession than Fernandinho would be an upgrade if we're playing Silva and KDB ahead of 1 defensive mid?

If we're playing a 'defensive mid' then neither Yaya nor Fernandinho have ever been that player imo. Fernandinho used to have a Gareth Barry kind of geezer sat behind him in Russia.

If we're playing a 'defensive mid' then neither Yaya nor Fernandinho have ever been that player imo. Fernandinho used to have a Gareth Barry kind of geezer sat behind him in Russia.

But fernandinho was playing as a number 10 in Ukraine, he obviously completely changed his position when he came over here.

But fernandinho was playing as a number 10 in Ukraine, he obviously completely changed his position when he came over here.

He has never been used to his best advantage imo & now he's a bit old to do it. But he was more of a kind of box to box player than a No 10. Exactly the kind of player City needed at the time, but we never played him there.

He'd beat Tony Kroos in a sprint back & probably would if he was 50.

Because Yaya is big & strong, people expect him to do stuff certain other 'world class' players, don't even attempt to do. Imo, it's about how the rest of the team is set up.

Last season, playing him in a wide open 442, fat & unfit, was one of the most stupid, clueless, things I have ever seen in all my years watching football, but if this team now was pressing & covering as Pep wants, with forwards & fullbacks winning the ball in midfield, I think it's no problem for Yaya at all, especially if we sign more athletic players to help.

He isn't a player that should be left to track younger fitter runners through midfield, but he never has been.

He successfully pressed West Brom on many occasions last night & helped us win the ball in their 3rd & has proved he can do that side of things, if the team is functioning as it should.

Agree with that.

I mentioned several times after the Leicester game that Yaya won more ball than anyone else on the pitch: he made 12 ball recoveries alone; in addition to the most tackles and interceptions for City. I have long despaired over the way people use the defensive side of the game as a stick to beat Yaya with when we should celebrate the fact that he is the most complete footballer to wear the sky blue since Bell and quite possibly ever. What makes it worse is that his defensive contribution has often been far better than people seem to appreciate. Ball recoveries is one example, for much of his time at City I'm pretty sure he has led the way on that stat and the reason he does is because he reads the game well and frequently takes up good positions.

People keep saying if he stays, he'll have to accept less minutes and he probably will but only if the other players out perform him and there's no guarantee if he does not have a major drop off in fitness that they will. What I'm bloody sure of is that the best possible squad that we can realistically assemble for next year would have Yaya in it.

Agree with that.

I mentioned several times after the Leicester game that Yaya won more ball than anyone else on the pitch: he made 12 ball recoveries alone; in addition to the most tackles and interceptions for City. I have long despaired over the way people use the defensive side of the game as a stick to beat Yaya with when we should celebrate the fact that he is the most complete footballer to wear the sky blue since Bell and quite possibly ever. What makes it worse is that his defensive contribution has often been far better than people seem to appreciate. Ball recoveries is one example, for much of his time at City I'm pretty sure he has led the way on that stat and the reason he does is because he reads the game well and frequently takes up good positions.

People keep saying if he stays, he'll have to accept less minutes and he probably will but only if the other players out perform him and there's no guarantee if he does not have a major drop off in fitness that they will. What I'm bloody sure of is that the best possible squad that we can realistically assemble for next year would have Yaya in it.

Well said mate.

My only reservation going forward is that against the very best sides where they are coming at us and not parking the bus, its only those games where i feel he might struggle a little but domestically, against the parked bus 90% of games we face he is imperious and simply the best in the business at what he does.

He went off last night and we instantly began to struggle.

Give him a 2 year deal if we have to because he is that good still.

I know you're a big fan of Yaya. Yaya is definitely one of the best four midfielders ever to play for City. And the player rightly deserves an extension. If Yaya wants it I'm sure he will get an extension. I surely wouldn't mind.
If he doesn't stay I'm sure we can cope without him. He would be a great asset to the squad but with Gundogan fit his minutes on the pitch will be limited.

I'm a huge fan of Yaya and I love Zab to bits but I think it's right for Zab to go and Yaya to stay because what is most important to me here is what is best for City.

I don't think his minutes would be as limited as some do but I think we will weaken the squad for next season by letting him go.

Well said mate.

My only reservation going forward is that against the very best sides where they are coming at us and not parking the bus, its only those games where i feel he might struggle a little but domestically, against the parked bus 90% of games we face he is imperious and simply the best in the business at what he does.

In those games, perhaps having two younger, fitter, faster fullbacks might mean we close down as a team, a yard or two earlier, also a better, more aware partner for Vinny, but if we find that is still not happening, I think Pep ha to ask the question if it's actually a good idea, or necessarry, to play so many attacking players vs the very best opposition.

I'm not convinced that purely replacing Yaya with a younger def mid, is going to solve that. It needs a number of things sorting.

Well said mate.

Against certain sides, Yaya could get exposed so you either sacrifice him or someone else to make sure the team has the legs for the job.

@Neville Kneville @OB1

Its all about the right balance going forward and not just a case of shoehorning players in for the sake of it or because of their names.

Im convinced with the right squad and depth, Pep will do just that and Yaya will play a very big part in it.

I've just watched the game again and Kun, Yaya and Vinny where so fucking good last night they really where.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.