Yaya Toure - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it hard with Yaya. Two of the posters I respect the most when it comes to the game in OB1 and Nev are sure he's still doing a fantastic job yet I struggle to see it. Sure, given time and space there's no better player in the league, but I still find him too easy to bypass and I still see the same defensive frailties that have been there for the last two seasons.
Seeing as we're very much a possession based team his stats will always look good. Put through last night there wasn't a second I didn't think he'd miss, that's because he's a fucking immense player. I wouldn't be disheartened to see him given an extension but it wouldn't be for two years.

@Neville Kneville @OB1

Its all about the right balance going forward and not just a case of shoehorning players in for the sake of it or because of their names.

Im convinced with the right squad and depth, Pep will do just that and Yaya will play a very big part in it.

I've just watched the game again and Kun, Yaya and Vinny where so fucking good last night they really where.

Most sucessful teams when rebuilt, are built around a few of the 'old' legends, who only move on when necessary & things are running smoothly without them.

I find it hard with Yaya. Two of the posters I respect the most when it comes to the game in OB1 and Nev are sure he's still doing a fantastic job yet I struggle to see it. Sure, given time and space there's no better player in the league, but I still find him too easy to bypass and I still see the same defensive frailties that have been there for the last two seasons.
Seeing as we're very much a possession based team his stats will always look good. Put through last night there wasn't a second I didn't think he'd miss, that's because he's a fucking immense player. I wouldn't be disheartened to see him given an extension but it wouldn't be for two years.

Have a look at the goals Napoli scored in the Champs Lg under Mancini.

I've been arguing for years, that Yaya's defnding should be seen in the same way as Silva's defending. His main ability lies elsewhere.

In those games, perhaps having two younger, fitter, faster fullbacks might mean we close down as a team, a yard or two earlier, also a better, more aware partner for Vinny, but if we find that is still not happening, I think Pep ha to ask the question if it's actually a god idea, or necessarry, to play so many attacking players vs the very best opposition.

I'm not convinced that purely replacing Yaya with a younger def mid, is going to solve that. It needs a number of things sorting.

Team game.

Have a look at the goals Napoli scored in the Champs Lg under Mancini.

I've been arguing for years, that Yaya's defnding should be seen in the same way as Silva's defending. His main ability lies elsewhere.
The problem with that mate is Yaya plays a lot deeper than Silva so is expected to do his bit. We're already a bit lightweight in too many positions in the back so it's a concern when none of our midfield are worrying about defending.
Hopefully that side (the back four, or at least the fullbacks) will be rectified in the summer and another DM brought in allowing Yaya to do what he's best at.

The problem with that mate is Yaya plays a lot deeper than Silva so is expected to do his bit. We're already a bit lightweight in too many positions in the back so it's a concern when none of our midfield are worrying about defending.
Hopefully that side (the back four, or at least the fullbacks) will be rectified in the summer and another DM brought in allowing Yaya to do what he's best at.

He does 'his bit' though. As OB1 has pointed out.

I don't believe we expect him to do 'his' bit, we expect him to do Roy Keane's bit as well as score the big goals & we set the team up, expecting it to happen, then when it goes wrong, it's his fault.. Which is where our managers repeatedly get it wrong. Tbf to Pep, he has taken a fair bit of weight off Yaya by the way the team works as a whole, but still, imo, there is no reason Yaya should be expected to win anymore ball than Silva or DeBruyne, he just does, because he's really good.

I don't believe there has to be a set formula of who plays which position. Pick it to suit the opposition on the day. If that means playing both Yaya & Gundogan & leaving out Silva or leaving out Gundogan or leaving out Yaya, do it. Just make sure the team is balanced.

Personally I would pick Yaya ahead of Gundogan in almost any position, but that's upto Pep.

I disagree. I think Yaya is better at setting the tempo from deep but Gundogan is now the better attacking midfielder, and a better goalscorer now too.

I disagree. I think Yaya is better at setting the tempo from deep but Gundogan is now the better attacking midfielder, and a better goalscorer now too.

I'd be surprised if he'd score more than Yaya, if given the same role.

But I just think Yaya is better at most things, just a great footballer. I also don't trust Gundogan's fitness. Imo it will be a nice surprise if he is ever a main player at City. I think someone else will take his position.

I'd be surprised if he'd score more than Yaya, if given the same role.

But I just think Yaya is better at most things, just a great footballer. I also don't trust Gundogan's fitness. Imo it will be a nice surprise if he is ever a main player at City. I think someone else will take his position.
Can't disagree with the last part, I think as much as I've denied it, if Gundogan gets another long-term injury we'll have to accept that he's more than just unlucky. If Gundogan can put the injuries behind him, though, we have a highly underrated, relatively cheap player on the fringes of world-class who has a good eight years left in him. They'll probably only need to coexist for one season anyway.

Whatever happens with Ilkay I'll be forever grateful to him for giving us one of the greatest nights in our history against Barcelona.

Can't disagree with the last part, I think as much as I've denied it, if Gundogan gets another long-term injury we'll have to accept that he's more than just unlucky. If Gundogan can put the injuries behind him, though, we have a highly underrated, relatively cheap player on the fringes of world-class who has a good eight years left in him. They'll probably only need to coexist for one season anyway.

Whatever happens with Ilkay I'll be forever grateful to him for giving us one of the greatest nights in our history against Barcelona.

Gundogan at his best is a world class player. But still imo, Yaya is an official, true, 'great player'.

As you say, they would only be together a short time & then it's down to whether we can keep Gundogan on the pitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.