Yes by McAlmont & Butler

The Fat el Hombre

Every now and then I'll see this song pop up in convo on twitter or something similar, and everyone seems in agreement that it's a brilliant song. It happened again the other day on my twitter feed - people saying it's the best song of the 90's! And every time I have to listen to it and check that I'm listening to the same song...cos it's absolutely fucking AWFUL. What am I missing? I can't be the only person that thinks this monstrosity is absolutely horrendous!? And I don't just mean I think it's a bit of a crap song, it's honestly one of the worst I've ever heard. Has my head in my hands just a few seconds in with despair. Dreadful - so what am I missing? Is it just that the lyrics appeal to people who have been dumped and can't handle it? Even so the lyrics aren't particularly good? Can't just be me? If so then what am I missing? There's no real melody, the lyrics are shit, the violins are way over the top...it's just an awful mess, put people seem to love it?

Here it is for anyone that doesn't know it, make up your own minds:

Never heard of it or them but I just clicked on the video and it's shit.
It actually sounds like the turntable is being unplugged and plugged back in a few times.
To summarize, Nonce music.

Every now and then I'll see this song pop up in convo on twitter or something similar, and everyone seems in agreement that it's a brilliant song. It happened again the other day on my twitter feed - people saying it's the best song of the 90's! And every time I have to listen to it and check that I'm listening to the same song...cos it's absolutely fucking AWFUL. What am I missing? I can't be the only person that thinks this monstrosity is absolutely horrendous!? And I don't just mean I think it's a bit of a crap song, it's honestly one of the worst I've ever heard. Has my head in my hands just a few seconds in with despair. Dreadful - so what am I missing? Is it just that the lyrics appeal to people who have been dumped and can't handle it? Even so the lyrics aren't particularly good? Can't just be me? If so then what am I missing? There's no real melody, the lyrics are shit, the violins are way over the top...it's just an awful mess, put people seem to love it?

Fucking dog shit. Was then, is now.

And ffs, just look at the cunts.

They wont be feeling better if I ever bump into them.

Sounds like the soundtrack from a really shite 90’s tv series.

fair play if they made a buck, but not at my expense.

I remember watching a live rendition of this and it's entirely the chorus hook that's the killer!

The rest of it can be left to rot, really.

Fuck me
I looked at the Wiki page to find that it reached no 8 in the charts
Neither Mrs DD or myself remember it, which is surprising as it's so shit

I remember it being on a compilation disc I had which is where I first heard it, but I remember it being on Mtv and the like at the time. I always thought it was shit and have been confused about but thankfully, you good people of bluemoon have made me realise I am not alone. Nice one.

I found the tweet that triggered this thread (2.4k likes and plenty of comments agree):

I think my suspicion that it appeals to drips who can't handle a break up is correct

it doesn't really offend me, but there's not anything that I like about it either. Bland shite. I suppose it's subjective but not sure how anyone could say it's one of the best songs of the 90's.

Suede were dogshit though.

It’s a blandly inoffensive Spector/Bacharach pastiche obviously aimed at people around that time who were too young or too lazy to seek out the original source material. At the end if the day it’s a throwaway pop song, nothing to get too worked up about either way.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.