Yesterdays News...

we have been getting the same Sunday paper for the last thirty years, but online for the last three years so we can read it where ever we are and also when abroad

i also have the Flipboard app on my iPad so I can get up to date news on the particular things that interest me

We buy the Times. My missus likes to do the sudoku and crossword. I read selectively from other online newspapers but still think there's something a bit more enjoyable reading a paper with my breakfast. I suppose its one of the luxuries of retirement. If we're on holiday or the missus is away I usually buy the kindle version.

Which is why a good many mates in the printing trade are being laid off soon at Trinity Mirror plant in Hollinwood. (A good few Blues in that lot too ... :-( )

When I started there in 1989, under the lovely Mr Maxwell's ownership, we were printing so many copies of the Daily Mirror, that the only other titles they had room to print (on seven presses running constantly) was The Sporting Life and The European (Captain Bob's pet paper) and The People. Then expanded to nine presses, and took on a couple of other titles ..... Racing Post, and even Melody Maker in it's final years.

Now .... The Mirror is a small part of it's output, too keep it in work it took on The Liverpool Echo, The MEN, regional titles and now The Daily Mail .... but it's still only printing a fraction of what it used to .... can't see it being there at all in ten years .... 'progress' an' all that ....

Compulsive Rambler said:
Do you Buy newspapers?

I don't know anybody that does except a local chippy owner who buys The Scum for his chippy customers. Nobody, well unless secretly they buy them.
Upon conversation nobody I know actually says they buy them to read.

Everyone says they haven't bought a newspaper for years, "they just read the news online"

So who is buying these things, how are they staying in business?
Do their websites through advertising part-fund the printed paper edition?

Just seems the media over-value how much influence the newspapers have in this country.

Me personally some guy sat in front of his webcam putting videos on youtube speaking about politics is more influential than whatever's in the Torygraph or the The Scum.

You know no one who buys a paper?

That says more about you than the papers!

I subscribe to the Times - full subscription, daily print copy, Apple app etc. and get a free Telegraph every day in Waitrose.

I don't know anyone who doesn't buy a paper every day, even if it's just the M.E.N..

Here are the sales figures for February 2014 alone.

The Sun 2,048,977
Daily Mirror 951,030
Daily Star 482,136
Daily Record 224,132
Daily Mail 1,727,118
Daily Express 491,864
Daily Telegraph 530,246
The Times 382,198
Financial Times 224,372
The Guardian 196,425
The Independent 64,279
I 300,110

denislawsbackheel said:
Compulsive Rambler said:
Do you Buy newspapers?

I don't know anybody that does except a local chippy owner who buys The Scum for his chippy customers. Nobody, well unless secretly they buy them.
Upon conversation nobody I know actually says they buy them to read.

Everyone says they haven't bought a newspaper for years, "they just read the news online"

So who is buying these things, how are they staying in business?
Do their websites through advertising part-fund the printed paper edition?

Just seems the media over-value how much influence the newspapers have in this country.

Me personally some guy sat in front of his webcam putting videos on youtube speaking about politics is more influential than whatever's in the Torygraph or the The Scum.

You know no one who buys a paper?

That says more about you than the papers!

I subscribe to the Times - full subscription, daily print copy, Apple app etc. and get a free Telegraph every day in Waitrose.

I don't know anyone who doesn't buy a paper every day, even if it's just the M.E.N..

Here are the sales figures for February 2014 alone.

The Sun 2,048,977
Daily Mirror 951,030
Daily Star 482,136
Daily Record 224,132
Daily Mail 1,727,118
Daily Express 491,864
Daily Telegraph 530,246
The Times 382,198
Financial Times 224,372
The Guardian 196,425
The Independent 64,279
I 300,110

Thanks for the sales figures there... interesting.

People are obviously buying them, keeps an industry going over here i suppose but I'm just of a generation where we've always had the internet.
The first time I logged online was over 20 years ago...

I'm sure I know plenty of people who buy them, but as I stated in the OP:

I remember for a few years as a kid my Dad had me delivering a local free newspaper around the housing estates. Paperboy :D

A big car crash here today and I'll already be made aware of it through Tweets/Facebook and whatever else... videos will emerge/photos on Twitter.
By tomorrow local journo's have picked up on it, written the story and it's published in next weeks edition of Bury Times as it comes out every Thursday.

Old news.
But if you like it then fair enough, keep paying for it and keeping the industry going :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.