York City v Manchester City 19-12-1998

I was there. 19th December my birthday. Got there early and went on a huge birthday / Christmas piss up round York before and after the game

Ended up trying to nick a boat on the river with the intention to sail home

Two friendly and sensible York fans persuaded us that it wasn’t a good idea

I’ll explain my theory again.

This wasn’t the acid test of City fans. We weren’t in our lowest position ever when people decided to go. We dropped to our lowest position ever as a result of losing at York.

Therefore, the true test of faith was deciding to go to Wrexham for the next game. Given that it was a Boxing Day as well makes the effort of going to Wrexham all the more worthy of respect.
I went to both, do I get two merit badges? ;-)

I went to both, do I get two merit badges? ;-)
You got your gold stars at the time. One for York, one for Wrexham and one for going to both. They were sent out with your kappa shirt. You should have found them above the crest.

Remember sitting at breakfast the next morning in hotel looking at the table in the papers thinking - if were not careful we might get relegated again.

Also reeling from the exit from the Autowindshield Trophy at home to Mansfield in front of 3k(?) crowd just 11 days earlier

I sort of agree but wouldn't tickets for Wrexham have been sold before the York game? I went to both but was in the home section at York.

A sizeable amount of that huge crowd at York completed an amazing double having been part of another huge crowd at Maine Road in the 60s against Swindon. Over 80000 fans although Swales reduced it slightly in the usual way. Many fans attended both games before they were born - a truly remarkable feat of loyalty.

It was an awful day, being one of a good number of Blues living in York we had intended to have a good night out after the game. Frankly I couldn’t handle that, I do remember walking down Bootham & recalling the saying “the darkest hour is just before dawn” and it was.
I read above that York got an early goal, they certainly did, it was before 3.00pm with a 3.00pm kick off.
Ive had many years of York fans bringing that day up, a massive day for them, forgetting that we put them down & both sides have gone in opposite directions. I’ve been to Bootham Crescent a good number of times since & hope they come back soon. The new stadium which is years overdue is about ready.

A sizeable amount of that huge crowd at York completed an amazing double having been part of another huge crowd at Maine Road in the 60s against Swindon. Over 80000 fans although Swales reduced it slightly in the usual way. Many fans attended both games before they were born - a truly remarkable feat of loyalty.

I was in The Scoreboard end at The Swindon game in 1965. Attendance 8,015.

Buzzer scored for Swindon.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.