Yorkshire Cricket Club

Why would the same apply to Vaughan?

For someone to say "His apology certainly seems heartfelt and we have no reason to believe he is not completely sincere.", Vaughan would actually have to admit to doing what he's accused of.

his tweet about London years ago? Is it not in a par with this lads Jewish tweet? If both say sorry for a mistake ten twelve years ago?

can’t have it different surely?

his tweet about London years ago? Is it not in a par with this lads Jewish tweet? If both say sorry for a mistake ten twelve years ago?

can’t have it different surely?

You're equating someone who is denying he's said anything wrong with someone who immediately apologised and took ownership of the fact they said it.

How is anyone supposed to accept an apology that's not been made?

Vaughan hasn’t owned or apologised for his alleged comments as far as I’m aware.

Well if that’s the case fair enough but if he has done then same as this lad today.

so same has to apply to Vaughan?
It would if he took ownership for he said. But as Rafiq said in his testimony he understands why Vaughan may not remember because to him it was just a throwaway comment that he wouldn't recognise as hurtful. For the same reason Rafiq wouldn't recall them tweets because at the time he didn't see them as controversial.

So the guy who rightly called out racism has previously made online anti Semitic comments? You couldnt make it up. Terrible

So the guy who rightly called out racism has previously made online anti Semitic comments? You couldnt make it up. Terrible

Is it really much worse than this?

1637274111586.png

Does that mean he was fair game for the racists in the stands in Italy?

Or are we incapable of differentiating between a single incident involving idiotic social media comments and persistent bullying?

The statement “I said some racist comments when I was young, looking back now I was a complete idiot and I’m ashamed I said some of the things I said” is something I think is a lot of people could say, if not the majority, and most could say it sincerely. Part of the problem is we’re not mature enough around our conversations to get there though where people feel comfortable enough to say it and it’s only said when people are “caught”. The vilification and pile on is so extreme and consequences of the actions are all lumped into the the same bucket, at times regardless of the actual pain and offence that was suffered.

I get it to an extent, vilifying racism at all levels is clearly and obviously a good thing. I just don’t think we’ve got the admittance in the first place and acceptance of its wider existence individually or collectively to have jumped straight there and a consequence of making it so binary is blurring lines and detracting from where the real discussion should be, concern, protection and understanding the impact for those actually on the receiving end.

I just feel so sorry for any of those; Rafiq for how he was treated and made to feel at Yorkshire, any child from a minority background reading of his experiences and thinking they may have to go through that too (and they won’t just be thinking it’s solely about Yorkshire or even cricket) and today how a Jewish child will feel reading that tweet that’s surfaced.

We’ve got a long long way to go.

Root has never been in a position to select the England squad. Up until earlier this year when coach Silverwood was out in charge of selection, England had selected the team in broadly the same way for 120 years. Ed Smith had chaired the panel of selectors for tue vast majority of time they Balance had been omitted . Root would have had some influence but he didn’t call the shots.

A flippant remark by me, I should have said Root seemingly had no objection to Ballance's selection but that is conjecture on my part. I'm sure selectors would listen to the captain if he said a player shouldn't be selected because they are a racist, then again this is English cricket and I have no faith in those at the top of the game.

To address your point in the other post, nobody is accusing Root of a crime, they're accusing him of turning a blind eye to racism, when asked directly if he heard racist remarks his response was self-preserving and that of a coward. I believe his captaincy should now be untenable but I very much doubt he'll lose it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.