Young British players should be a priority

The FA itself could change the rules for the English competitions
I suspect they would struggle to get any such ruling into the Premier league. The premier league does not want to reduce its potential overseas TV income by denying access to overseas players.

spot on

they should rename the FFPR the manchester city rule it was only when the others started to panic and the so called big clubs in europe that uefa come under pressure to stop manchester city winning the champions league

and the youth setup with homegrown rule is a shambles i was watching the under 20 world cup and the england team had 5 players that can still play for nigeria what is all that about talk about keeping your options open

FFP is bollocks and the homegrown rule is beyond horseshit.

English/UK players, instead of getting into squads and starting XI's on merit, are now getting in there cos the rules state we have to have X amount involved. Total bollocks that its a default thing instead of a skill/form thing.

It also means that players, in some circumstances, are being signed purely cos they help fill the quota. Which can't be a good thing for either the club or the player themselves.

England national team has been shite for decades. Nothing to do with the rise of foreign talent gravitating towards England in the 90s or the influx of TV money. Whats the excuse for the failures of the 70s and 80s? Grassroots is where the problem lies and its painfully obvious to everyone; I'm sure I read a stat recently that said that both Spain and Germany had something like 5x as many young coaches and football pitches than England. Well, stone the fucking crows, the 2 most successful European nations of recent times have much better resources and facilities than the pathetic offerings we have, which might be why they win stuff and England doesn't (and don't even come close)

Anyway, I don't care for international football.

Long day at work, feel better after that :)

FFP is bollocks and the homegrown rule is beyond horseshit.

English/UK players, instead of getting into squads and starting XI's on merit, are now getting in there cos the rules state we have to have X amount involved. Total bollocks that its a default thing instead of a skill/form thing.

It also means that players, in some circumstances, are being signed purely cos they help fill the quota. Which can't be a good thing for either the club or the player themselves.

England national team has been shite for decades. Nothing to do with the rise of foreign talent gravitating towards England in the 90s or the influx of TV money. Whats the excuse for the failures of the 70s and 80s? Grassroots is where the problem lies and its painfully obvious to everyone; I'm sure I read a stat recently that said that both Spain and Germany had something like 5x as many young coaches and football pitches than England. Well, stone the fucking crows, the 2 most successful European nations of recent times have much better resources and facilities than the pathetic offerings we have, which might be why they win stuff and England doesn't (and don't even come close)

Anyway, I don't care for international football.

Long day at work, feel better after that :)

great shout matey

no amount of money at youth level can produce talent like messi its born
its that simple messi was not coached into a player that lad was born with a ball at his feet when you have to think about what your doing its game over the best players don't think it comes to them in a flash and they see the bigger picture

Costs £30m to buy one competent English player, you can set-up an entire academy for that amount, buy a feeder team in Holland or Belgium and park your youngsters there until a few of them are decent enough to fill some gaps in your squad. Ok maybe an exaggeration, but i think that's roughly what we're hoping to do.

The only British player i can think of that might represent some value is Kieran Tierney as a back-up left-back. He'd probably still be £15m+

With home grown rules already in place and likely to get more restrictive, and Brexit looming with a potential big impact on foreign imports, I can't help feeling we need to look more seriously at British players now. With Clichy gone, Hart about to go, and continued stories about Delph being moved on, HG/British players are getting more scarce. Even our academy seems to be filled with good foreign players that may not be eligible after brexit - HG might not matter. And if Scotland separates after brexit, the pool might get even smaller with just English players an option.

Obviously decent British players are already over priced and we can get similar quality abroad for a lot less, and yes we're being held to ransom for players like Walker, but how much might these players cost in a couple of years? There aren't that many British players that would fit in Pep's squad, so for me if we can get them in now, we should.

The question is how many can really make the grade? Walker and Bertrand might be an upgrade from last year and would be reasonable additions, but are they good enough to help us win the champions league? Alli and Kane are good but would cost maybe $80-100M each and we have better options now. Are any other British players even anywhere close to being world class except maybe Bale?

So a priority has to be young British players that have the potential we can develop. Looking at the U20 and U21 teams, are there any young British gems we should be looking at? We don't seem to have much of a presence on these teams right now (although at this age Roberts is a stand out).
Scotland wouldn't make any difference.
They haven't got a decent player

great shout matey

no amount of money at youth level can produce talent like messi its born
its that simple messi was not coached into a player that lad was born with a ball at his feet when you have to think about what your doing its game over the best players don't think it comes to them in a flash and they see the bigger picture

This isn't true at all. Messi was coached professionally most of his life and has a monster like workrate. Football is a skill, like many skills you might have a genetic advantage over others to start off with but without proper nurturing and workrate it means nothing at all. Messi would be just another fat bloke in a pub saying how he was great for his under 11s and Barca once looked at him if he didn't have high quality coaching and a desire to succeed above most normal humans.

This is also a myth for the record.

England are consistently one of the highest rated football nations and pretty consistently place in the last 16 of every major international tournament. The problem with English football has always been that the culture of English fans lacks patience and realism.

This is also a myth for the record.

England are consistently one of the highest rated football nations and pretty consistently place in the last 16 of every major international tournament. The problem with English football has always been that the culture of English fans lacks patience and realism.
I think most of us of a certain age have now been waiting for 51 years. How much more patience do you think we need? I also think the realism died when players from selected clubs started to get picked in preference to players in form. This has also been going on for so many years that supporters of other clubs turn their backs on the national team.

Yes, we do indeed get to the last 16 of most tournaments. However, this is due to the generous seeding of the qualification groups, as FIFA only want the their favoured teams at the finals, purely for financial reasons. It's all about the cash. In addition, the various draws for the teams in the group stages are also manipulated so that the favourite teams should get through. Once in the knockout stage, when "proper" teams get involved, we fail and go home early, the manager is generally sacked, and the media, which built the team up to be world beaters, have a field day with their vitriol on selected players.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.